• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC for former Chinese National

I'm waiting to start a financial role at MOD Filton and am 7 months into my SC by DBS NSV. I made a complaint about how long it was taking and that seemed to get the ball rolling and they quickly sent me a letter saying they had concerns regarding "My Assimilation into British Culture" - I was a Chinese National until 2007 when I became a British Citizen(not dual national). I moved to the UK in 2002 and worked in finance in various companies since then. My husband a British Citizen born in Wales. It's ridiculous that they've highlighted this as I'm about as assimilated as you can get, but they then go on to mention "possible coercion, etc from family and friends in China" which I think is the real issue. I've responded as best I can with a letter as they requested, and they've also offered me a 2nd interview in York which I will go to. I asked what was the purpose of this 2nd interview and they've understandably not really answered with any specifics but said I should bring along any proof that would help with their concerns. All I can think of getting is some reference letters from friends here in the UK regarding my character, hobbies, etc - any other suggestions would be most helpful!

thanks.

MSB

Comment

Originally posted by MusicSkyBird View Post
      I'm waiting to start a financial role at MOD Filton and am 7 months into my SC by DBS NSV. I made a complaint about how long it was taking and that seemed to get the ball rolling and they quickly sent me a letter saying they had concerns regarding "My Assimilation into British Culture" - I was a Chinese National until 2007 when I became a British Citizen(not dual national). I moved to the UK in 2002 and worked in finance in various companies since then. My husband a British Citizen born in Wales. It's ridiculous that they've highlighted this as I'm about as assimilated as you can get, but they then go on to mention "possible coercion, etc from family and friends in China" which I think is the real issue. I've responded as best I can with a letter as they requested, and they've also offered me a 2nd interview in York which I will go to. I asked what was the purpose of this 2nd interview and they've understandably not really answered with any specifics but said I should bring along any proof that would help with their concerns. All I can think of getting is some reference letters from friends here in the UK regarding my character, hobbies, etc - any other suggestions would be most helpful!

thanks.

MSB
      I'd say this IR35 thing that's just hit the MoD as discussed in another thread will be a bigger headache than this to be honest.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I'd say this IR35 thing that's just hit the MoD as discussed in another thread will be a bigger headache than this to be honest.
        could you post a link?

Comment

Originally posted by MusicSkyBird View Post
          could you post a link?
          Towards the bottom of this thread onwards for the immediate changes to the MoD but the whole thread is relevant to PS in general.
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/futur...ml#post2261660

Comment

Question for contractors here who got SC clearance by the police forces.

Did anyone here have issues trying to find SC work outside of the police due to the nature of SC clearance (police) been non-transferable?

(fyi Vetting have stated to me it was non-transferable outside of police forces and I pulled the short straw with this gig as it is the first time I have been SC cleared)

Comment

You will face the same problems as a non SC person surely due to the time it takes to get cleared? Same closed shop attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You will face the same problems as a non SC person surely due to the time it takes to get cleared? Same closed shop attitude.
                You might have a slight advantage that at least you show you can be cleared and get SC.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                  You might have a slight advantage that at least you show you can be cleared and get SC.
                  Hmm. I'm not so sure. They will still opt for the person with current SC regardless of their skillset. Maybe.... Just maybe.. If it's a two horse race they 'may' see that as an advantage but bearing in mind it's different I'm not convinced. In that case an agent will put the person forward that's most likely to get the gig and deal with clearance later.

Can't do any harm puttig it on the CV and the like but I'd make it clear it's police so as not to waste anyone's time. I can imagine many agents won't check properly.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
                    Question for contractors here who got SC clearance by the police forces.

Did anyone here have issues trying to find SC work outside of the police due to the nature of SC clearance (police) been non-transferable?

(fyi Vetting have stated to me it was non-transferable outside of police forces and I pulled the short straw with this gig as it is the first time I have been SC cleared)
                    Police SC is granted on a different basis to MOD SC (and Home Office as well, oddly enough). It is not all that transferable since they are assessing different risks (I'm sure I've said that before somewhere...).

Clearance is not a badge, it's a risk assessment. Hence, it is not, and does not have to be consistent across the various agencies requiring it.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi all again

I have also found out that I also have Management Vetting, I assume this might a localised equivalent of SC or is it something else different?

Comment

Working...
                      X