• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by webspider84 View Post
    Hello,

I have been having a read at this Thread and I was just wondering if I could ask I question.

I am currently applying for a Role which Requires SC Clearance. Last November I defaulted on a lot of Pay Day Loans and went via the Scottish Goverment to apply for a Scottish DAS (Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)) I was approved for the DAS and have been paying it since February.

As long as I am open and Honest in my application am I likely to be OK or is there a change I will be declined?

I am just worried about leaving my current job if I could end up losing my new job due to being declined for SC.

At the start of the plan I owed £26,159.49 and so far I have paid off £5,838.93 with £20,320.56 Still to go.

Thanks for your help!

B.
    Honesty is the best policy. It depends on what the role is going to be, but if you are up front and can show that you are handling your debts (and therefore aren't a bribery candidate) then you should be OK.

Leave a comment:

• webspider84
    replied
    Scottish DAS

Hello,

I have been having a read at this Thread and I was just wondering if I could ask I question.

I am currently applying for a Role which Requires SC Clearance. Last November I defaulted on a lot of Pay Day Loans and went via the Scottish Goverment to apply for a Scottish DAS (Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)) I was approved for the DAS and have been paying it since February.

As long as I am open and Honest in my application am I likely to be OK or is there a change I will be declined?

I am just worried about leaving my current job if I could end up losing my new job due to being declined for SC.

At the start of the plan I owed £26,159.49 and so far I have paid off £5,838.93 with £20,320.56 Still to go.

Thanks for your help!

B.

Leave a comment:

• Vectra280
    replied
    I'm in limbo at the moment.

I was working at a List X location, on a project that required SC clearance.
    So, they have me down as "SC Cleared, via HO DSU".

I now need to work on another project in the same building, but this apparently requires "SC Clearance via the MOD".

I don't want to do a transfer, as I will need to work on both projects every now and again...
    It does seem odd that one dept doesn't respect the clearance performed by another, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the way it's meant to work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Here's a question: should I put SC on my CV? Should I put it in big letters at the top so agents can easily see it, or just mention it under the relevant job history entry, or perhaps not at all?

What do others do?
    I did when I had it. I put it my personal statement spiel at the top when applying for SC roles specifically using the term Security Cleared (SC) and also had it next to each role which stayed there whatever role I applied for. So it said Dishwash (SC Cleared) for example. I used both SC Cleared and Security Cleared to cover any search terms the agent might use.

Didn't do me any good to be honest. Many more unsecured roles came up closer to home with equivalent money so took them and my SC lapsed.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Here's a question: should I put SC on my CV? Should I put it in big letters at the top so agents can easily see it, or just mention it under the relevant job history entry, or perhaps not at all?

What do others do?

Leave a comment:

• monkfish
    replied
    Could you not get confirmation that your SC is in place? That should be enough to satisfy the check? Without dates and the details this should be enough to satisfy the agency and not cause any concern over visibility of private information?
    Oh it most certainly is, and confirmed by client. Funnily enough have you tried speaking with any of the vetting authorities? They wont communicate at all with individuals - just refer you back to sponsor each and every time.

Original issue averted today by tipping up to clients security controller with ID documents etc. Obviously happy for client to reference as appropriate. During course of conversation it transpired that "tier 1 agency offered to take on all referencing so we agreed - they can put more resources at it than us. Nobody's ever objected before."

The cyncial part of me says they actually mean "they can employ some 18-year old who was selling sports gear 3 months ago to nose through private paperwork". I do however object as the agency has no remit whatsoever.

But averted anyway as client has confirmed they will be carrying out checks themselves.

I think this is a dangerous precedence for agencies to try and set.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    All they ever ask for to check mine is my DOB
    Try telling them that is illegal under the age discrimination laws ...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    All they ever ask for to check mine is my DOB

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by monkfish View Post
    Here's a twist on an old favourite.

Agency insisting on SC document to be returned to them "for checking of references as they do that for client".

I am equally insistent that document is a private document between myself and Security Controller of client.

Agency still insist they need to see it. I am equally insistent that its nothing to do with them.

I think this is a potential spin on "we just need two references" but somewhat alarming in that agency is poking their nose into affairs that do not concern them. They are not List X and I do not believe they are entitled to see a copy of that document. Whilst I have "nowt to hide" I'd rather my personal details not be spread about the place. Thoughts?
    Could you not get confirmation that your SC is in place? That should be enough to satisfy the check? Without dates and the details this should be enough to satisfy the agency and not cause any concern over visibility of private information?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by monkfish View Post
    Here's a twist on an old favourite.

Agency insisting on SC document to be returned to them "for checking of references as they do that for client".

I am equally insistent that document is a private document between myself and Security Controller of client.

Agency still insist they need to see it. I am equally insistent that its nothing to do with them.

I think this is a potential spin on "we just need two references" but somewhat alarming in that agency is poking their nose into affairs that do not concern them. They are not List X and I do not believe they are entitled to see a copy of that document. Whilst I have "nowt to hide" I'd rather my personal details not be spread about the place. Thoughts?
    Check if the document is marked "Restricted" or "Condfidential". If it is, you can't show it to anyone who is not cleared to handle it. If they want a copy they can ask the clearance authority for a copy, who can make the decision.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X