• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I started at my current client (March 2011) they just checked where my SC was held rather than transferring it, come March this year I'd have been here 12 months.

Should this be transferred to keep it live of is the fact I'm in an SC role good enough?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      When I started at my current client (March 2011) they just checked where my SC was held rather than transferring it, come March this year I'd have been here 12 months.

Should this be transferred to keep it live of is the fact I'm in an SC role good enough?
      It doesn't sound right that you are in an SC role but your clearance is with a previous client. It doesn't make sense to allow people to work on site just because they had clearance with a previous client. Maybe other minor checks but not SC. I would guess if you move to another role and you cannot demostrate you have done anywork for the client who holds your SC it will lapse. No one is keeping records of your work so according to the client who holds it you have not needed it for a year. Past that you are taking word of mouth.

I would have a word with your clients security team very quickly!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep, agree totally. If you miss your annual review your clearance stops there and then. If it's held by someone not at your current client, it may already be too late.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Yep, agree totally. If you miss your annual review your clearance stops there and then. If it's held by someone not at your current client, it may already be too late.
          Just an FYI for those waiting for SC to be transferred to another client.

There's a MASSIVE delay in transfers because of the need to clear a gazillion doughnut vendors, cleaners and security guards for the Olympics.

I've been waiting 5 months for my xfer to come through, so you generally CAN start working on another SC role while the transfer process crawls along.

Comment

I've just been called on a role then dismissed because I've worked overseas a number of times in the past 5 years (18 months in Australia/ New Zealand and a bit in Malaysia / Indonesia + 1 year in Canada back in 2005/6).

The reason given was "You were not resident in the UK for the past 5 years".

Whilst this may sound silly to some, it has always been my understanding that when holding a working visa for another country it does NOT make you a resident of the country. The relevant authorities in my host country are always very clear on this - I'm on a long holiday , thus the visa is a working HOLIDAY visa, not making me resident, with no rights.

In my view I've always been a UK resident (and as far as HMRC are concerned, as well as foreign tax offices" - never resident for TAX purposes either).

I've worked in some of the most trustworthy corporate jobs, and undergone unbelievable checks; I was surprised by this.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              I've just been called on a role then dismissed because I've worked overseas a number of times in the past 5 years (18 months in Australia/ New Zealand and a bit in Malaysia / Indonesia + 1 year in Canada back in 2005/6).

The reason given was "You were not resident in the UK for the past 5 years".

Whilst this may sound silly to some, it has always been my understanding that when holding a working visa for another country it does NOT make you a resident of the country. The relevant authorities in my host country are always very clear on this - I'm on a long holiday , thus the visa is a working HOLIDAY visa, not making me resident, with no rights.

In my view I've always been a UK resident (and as far as HMRC are concerned, as well as foreign tax offices" - never resident for TAX purposes either).

I've worked in some of the most trustworthy corporate jobs, and undergone unbelievable checks; I was surprised by this.

Any thoughts?
              Certainly in the UK anyone here on a working visa or anything other than a visit visa is resident here so presumably it works the other way.

One of my previous colleagues had two years in Switzerland and got SC ok, took ages to come through though.

Another told me he had restrictions imposed on him wrt to SC, he wasnt allowed to travel to Russia and some other countries, no idea why or indeed if it's true!

Comment

That's interesting , thanks!

Comment

UK citizen recently resident in Spain - chance of getting SC?

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me decide whether it's worth my while applying for jobs that will need SC clearance.

I've read that you need to have been resident in the UK for either 3 years or 5 years - the information varies - but I'm not clear if this applies to non-UK citizens or to everyone? (I didn't see anything on the DVA site or very conclusive in this thread.) Is this a hard-and-fast rule, or more of an understanding?

I'm a UK citizen but the last 3 years I've been resident/working in Spain (in the EU, does that matter?) I'm not aware of anything else in my background that should upset the process. Looking at the post from Scoobos, I'm not hopeful

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBen View Post
                    Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me decide whether it's worth my while applying for jobs that will need SC clearance.

I've read that you need to have been resident in the UK for either 3 years or 5 years - the information varies - but I'm not clear if this applies to non-UK citizens or to everyone? (I didn't see anything on the DVA site or very conclusive in this thread.) Is this a hard-and-fast rule, or more of an understanding?

I'm a UK citizen but the last 3 years I've been resident/working in Spain (in the EU, does that matter?) I'm not aware of anything else in my background that should upset the process. Looking at the post from Scoobos, I'm not hopeful

Thanks in advance for your advice.
                    You have a bigger problem than that I am afraid. Nearly all advertised roles for SC want someone that is already SC cleared. It is illegal for them to advertise for people with SC only to apply and they have to say they are open to candidates without SC clearance. The reality is in most cases you won't even be considered without it. They cannot wait the 3-6 months it takes to appy for clearance and in your case if there is ambiguity as to whether you will pass or not pushes you further down the list. As I say the practice of not putting your forward due to this isn't legal but you cannot prove it.

I have held SC previously and I didn't get a look in for all the roles I applied for over a few years even though there is supposed to be a fast track renewal. This won't stop me applying though. You never know, you could fall lucky but I certainly do not hold out for these roles and keep applying for everything else in the meantime.

I would say keep applying, you might have some niche skill they cannot find and fall lucky. You not passing SC is their problem not yours so don't not apply just because you are unsure. If you don't apply it is absolutely certain you will not get a role. Just don't hold your breath.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

@northernladuk Thanks for the reply. I hate to admit it, but that seems spot on! Will take the advice an keep applying but not holding my breath

Comment

Working...
                      X