• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Most Nigel Frank and their same worthless sister company Mason Frank calls come from the 020 area (for microsoft CRM and Salesforce), I have loads on my block list, but they keep calling from new numbers
    Ask them to remove your personal data from their database citing the Data Protection Act 1998. You may have to send emails or a recorded delivery letter. Regardless of the validity they will leave you alone for at least a year.

I've had to do it when over enthusiastic agents text and email me repeatedly for perm jobs in random areas of the country.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most Nigel Frank and their same worthless sister company Mason Frank calls come from the 020 area (for microsoft CRM and Salesforce), I have loads on my block list, but they keep calling from new numbers
      I've had multiple interviews through Nigel Frank and job offers in the past - never worked through them as other things have come along...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
        Its a lie, interviewers never ask for references up front .. never ever in City / Banking jobs not even after Sep 11th etc.

Its a trick, I'm telling you straight its a TRICK !
        I'm glad you said that as that usually tends to be a rather heated discussion I have with agencies.

Comment

I had a call from them this morning. I'd applied for a local contract with cracking rates. A lass from Nigel Frank rang, but wouldn't tell me the recruiting company (until I was on their "shortlist"), asked me a load of general questions about skills/experience etc. (which could easily be found on CV summary page), & asked for 2 references. Oh, and she wanted to use my CV (with identifying details blanked out) to fish further. She got a polite no thanks in return, which she seemed surprised at. Ho hum!

It sounded so much like a scam, so I thought I'd check here! I just had to join & post to say thanks to confirming my suspicions.

And, to add to the evidence, I've just had a follow up e-mail. Nothing about representing me for the "contract" that I'd applied for - it was just to request the references!

Comment

Oh, and I just googled the first sentence of the job description & ended up finding the whole thing had been lifted, word-for-word, from an advert on Linkedin for a permie position based in Belgrade. Funnily enough, the job's disappeared from Jobserve. Cheeky buggers.

Comment

Nigel Frank are well known for it. Absolute waste of time.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Seems to be a lot of this references crap around at the moment. I guess market us a little bit quiet just before start of new financial year.

I guess you can't blame the agents for trying. Submit someone and it comes to nothing and its nothing gained. But get a few contacts off them and its a bonus.

Best one I ever had (before I stopped doing it) was this who literally swore on his mothers life he wouldn't abuse it. Literally, 5 mins later he phoned client manager (whilst I sat next to him), didn't even mention me and started off how he'd heard he might need a contractor. Unbelievable.

Luckily, the client manager was on board and thought it was funny. Lets just say that particular agency didn't create a good impression with the client.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Nigel Frank are well known for it. Absolute waste of time.
                  They are probably the worst for phantom job adverts, I never apply for one of their adverts anymore, they never tell you the client when they call and you never get interview requests. They just use your CV to cold sell into companies

However there are several agencies who are just as bad in terms of asking for references up front, as soon as I am asked that by any agency I say no, you can tell from their reaction straight away whether they are genuine or lead hunting.

Comment

RocSearch fishing

I have had this problem with Rocsearch - its blatant that they are fishing for my old boss's names . They invent a job, with a high hourly rate and then start asking for your previous boss details for their "database". I just say I don't give references without an interview. But whenever an agent asks for references its usually dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by sam12321 View Post
                      I have had this problem with Rocsearch - its blatant that they are fishing for my old boss's names . They invent a job, with a high hourly rate and then start asking for your previous boss details for their "database". I just say I don't give references without an interview. But whenever an agent asks for references its usually dodgy.
                      ROCSearch are about the worse to be honest. Complete shysters.....

If an alleged role comes up with ROC Search I just ignore it.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X