• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    We are a bit cynical of 1st time posters praising agents. If you're not you'll see others being challenged as well.
    Ah, I see

Fair enough, although I wouldn't use the word 'praise'...I'll need to get my first payment from them before I could even consider using such mighty words!

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
      Ah, I see

Fair enough, although I wouldn't use the word 'praise'...I'll need to get my first payment from them before I could even consider using such mighty words!
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        Don't generalise.

Tek Systems actually take references and then call them to get a proper idea of you as a candidate. I know this because:

a) I have been given as a referee and made references for for ex colleagues as a result.
        b) Given my own references the other week, to go forward for a senior banking role. Both my referees called me after they had had the chat with the agent. ( I have the interview next week )
        c) I was on friendly terms (read almost family) with one of the senior business managers so I know how they go for new business...

At no point in the process have Tek-Systems ever tried to send me unsolicited CV's as a result of giving several references for colleagues, and further more neither have they since approached the two senior managers that gave my references...
        Failing to give them references will ensure you never get put forwards... As they won't handle unknown quantities. (Its one of their USP's in the industry!)

Yes there are clowns out there that abuse this process but not all of the companies do.
        Personally, I think an agent that wants to bother my referees before they've added any value to the proposition themselves by even so much as setting up an interview is hugely abusing the process. If every agency I deal with worked that way, I'd pretty soon have no referees left, whether or not the agency wanting to work in that way was on the level. I speak with far more agencies than manage to get me an interview, and if they all wanted to speak with my referees before I'd even been interviewed, my referees would pretty soon stop agreeing to provide any references at all. My referees are busy people, and typically have far better things to do than speak with agencies before a job (or even an interview!) is on the table. Providing a reference as to whether I'm worth interviewing or not isn't what they've agreed to do for me; that's what a good agent should be able to discern for themselves by talking to me. I simply don't find it so much of a problem to secure interviews that I'd be prepared to waste my referees' time on pre-qualifications merely to meet someone that apparently had a need for the skills I have to offer. I've turned down interviews through Tek Systems before because they insisted on working in that one-sided way, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only contractor that's made a conscious decision not to work with them rather than risk alienating their referees by bothering them too early in the process.

Comment

You are getting being cheated..

Just want to add about TEK systems... An agent at TEK system(Bracknell) called me and told that there is a role available with one of his exclusive client and told me that he can send only 5 CVs max he even told me the client name. He asked me to do an online test(i am sure no additional cost for him, as they may have some arrangement) I completed that. He called me to his office to explain more about the client. Everything looks so genuine and realistics.. C'mon they do this everyday they know the tricks. I went to the office as it was near, as usual, my CV looks unique blah blah.. he told me there is one more client, and the role will be signed of next day. He insisted that I give him referneces before proceeding as am at the office now. I have nothing to loose by giving references also I can take chances for getting a job. Thats it.. he never got back to me, even after several follow up etc.

So remember "Our references is their contacts"... always.. always.. always.. from my past 5 years in IT contracting... You MAY have nothing to loose if you give references, but remember you are being cheated to get the references.

Comment

Last week, I was asked by the hydrogen group to provide a 'character reference' for a period I chose not to work! Apparently they dont recognise that a contractor may decide not to seek work for a period greater than 3 months.

The period in question was over 3 years ago and they wanted the 'referee' to confirm I did not work in this period and the reasons why!
            Last edited by BolshieBastard; 15 July 2012, 16:15.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Last week, I was asked by the hydrogen group to provide a 'character reference' for a period I chose not to work! Apparently they dont recognise that a contractor may decide not to seek work for a period greater than 3 months.

The period in question was over 3 years ago and they wanted the 'referee' to confirm I did not work in this period and the reasons why!
              While they have a sh*tty mindset all they are doing is confirming that you haven't spent time at her Majesty's Pleasure during your time off.

I do know a few people including a contractor who have had short prison sentences.

In my case I often have gaps between contracts. So on my CV it doesn't look odd that there is a gap. However some agents who are stupid think that's odd, they forget that people who do any form of temporary work can't go on long holidays when they have a contract.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                While they have a sh*tty mindset all they are doing is confirming that you haven't spent time at her Majesty's Pleasure during your time off.

I do know a few people including a contractor who have had short prison sentences.

In my case I often have gaps between contracts. So on my CV it doesn't look odd that there is a gap. However some agents who are stupid think that's odd, they forget that people who do any form of temporary work can't go on long holidays when they have a contract.
                Agreed. I have been asked the same on two concurrent gigs for exactly the reason SE mentioned. Delivered it and moved on.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Well again, I'll repeat the 3 breaks of over 3 months are documented on my cv so there's no surprise there. For my last two roles, the interviewer has actually commented that they liked the way I had explained periods I hadnt worked. One, a security firm, asked me at interview why there was a break of 4 months. I explained, they were happy with this. A full enhanced CRB check not only proved I wasnt at HM's Pleasure during this time but, was 'not known to the Police' nor had any spent convictions.

As for hydrogen, the CRB check proves and further Powerchex search they also did proves this. I also have a certificate within the last 12 months, for a full, enhanced CRB which covers the period.

The end client for this role, was the first client I worked for after this break period anyway. Strange then that neither this client nor the agent at the time had any issue with this.

In short, hydrogen had all the proof I was never 'at HM's Pleasure' but were just too anal to accept 1, the existing official evidence and 2, that contractors unlike permies can and do make lifestyle choices not to work sometimes. To expect one to provide 'character references' for these are, frankly, ridiculous.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Just registered to say in my 25 years experience of IT contracting in UK most agencies take references from you if you get offered the role but just file them away & never bother taking them up as you have the role why do they want to rock the boat & do something which could easily cause them to lose their commission or the entire role to another agency if your references are not good enough for the end client. The only exceptions I have found are investment banks will do background, credit & reference checks before letting you work onsite most others never bother especially if its not a long term role just a short term backfill role. But even some of the top banks do not bother more often than not they take you on face value & trust the agency to supply the right person for the role. The end client is usually happy to find the right person & not go looking for problems its quite rare after you start for them to go checking your references they are too busy & their HR will more often than not just interview you & if they think your suitable rubber stamp the appointment.

Contractor references are virtually worthless anyway a notorious very well known contractor I bumped into on several different banking contracts over the years was an obvious addict & had faked many references to get these roles. He ALWAYS got the sack from his last role usually within a few weeks as he had serious addiction issues (I am surprised he managed to talk his way into the roles in the first place but he is a very smooth talker & good actor).

1 very well known investment bank I had worked for HR would not confirm/deny I had been there for just over 2 years even though I had my old security pass & wage slips they refused to confirm/deny or give any information to the agency when I supplied them as a reference & I had left the role due to redundancy as the outsourced role was converted to perm as an entry level graduate position. In the end I got a letter from the outsource company CEO to confirm my service!

I came across one chap who had a serious criminal record for violence & got sacked on the spot when this reared its ugly head one day yet he was still working as a contractor with no issues & finding regular work. Another was sacked for insider trading at a very well known financial company but still managed to get regular contracting work. The list is endless as most contractor references are just so easy to work around a lot are ex-colleagues who remain friends & forge them so they become worthless.

Never ever give an agent the references until after you have been offered the role no matter what they say its not the way most legit agencies operate.

Comment

Seems agencies do check references, I've just had an e-mail from exclientco asking me to fill in the details on the form sent as they are too busy.

Btw Am I right in thinking that companies these days do not give out any more info other than Name, position and dates worked. Anything else is company confidential?
                      I've also had some companies come back saying they do not provide references for contractors as they are not employees and you have to go to the agency.

These guys wanted as well date of birth, (which I believe cannot be disclosed under the age discrimination act), Sickness and disciplinary record, Performance and ability record and Would you hire this person again.
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X