• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    So normally if an Agent is asking for two references I tell them that I only give references directly to clients. Here's the twist, I am chasing down a contract in the Netherlands. I'm now being asked for two references on submission.

In the UK its 99.99% a scam, does this apply in the Netherlands in your experience?

Thought I would ask before I told him to sling his hook on that one.
    Netherlands is the same. Agents are scum in any country

Comment

Originally posted by sam12321 View Post
      I have had this problem with Rocsearch - its blatant that they are fishing for my old boss's names . They invent a job, with a high hourly rate and then start asking for your previous boss details for their "database". I just say I don't give references without an interview. But whenever an agent asks for references its usually dodgy.
      Ive had this from ROC as well. They got very shirty when I said references would be supplied on receipt of a job offer which seemingly wound her up even more.

Then they wanted me to go to Chorley to be 'interviewed' by their head man to see if I 'fitted the criteria' for candidates they like to put forward. Also politely refused that which again, surprise, surprise, she didnt like.

I dont seem to get any calls from them now for some reason!

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
        Ive had this from ROC as well. They got very shirty when I said references would be supplied on receipt of a job offer which seemingly wound her up even more.

Then they wanted me to go to Chorley to be 'interviewed' by their head man to see if I 'fitted the criteria' for candidates they like to put forward. Also politely refused that which again, surprise, surprise, she didnt like.

Meeting agents beforehand = complete waste of time. I did it once because I had a face to face close by one day and I was on the bench so why not? Waste of time. All they did was make me fill out crap forms and try and get leads off me.

ROCsearch - its not annabel something is it?

Meet the criteria - what a load of tulipe. Agencies only criteria is if they can get in at the client.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post

They will call you don't worry, newbies who have a target of harvesting x number of references will be desperate and call you. Every couple of months I get one from ROCsearch, when I'm bored I keep them on the phone and let them talk and talk

Comment

A guy from Maximus rang me yesterday telling me how he usually gets people a 10-15% increase on their rate and / or a promotion. But he needed to know my home address and lots of other pieces of information before they could help.

If anyone wants his number I can share it - couldn't tell you him mumbly name so he's in me phone book as "Nob @ Maximus"
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              A guy from Maximus rang me yesterday telling me how he usually gets people a 10-15% increase on their rate and / or a promotion. But he needed to know my home address and lots of other pieces of information before they could help.

If anyone wants his number I can share it - couldn't tell you him mumbly name so he's in me phone book as "Nob @ Maximus"
              Ben Dover and Neil Down my ex-IT managers will always give me a good reference, one was the IT director at JP Morgan and the other at Credit Suisse, I encouraged the agent to get in contact with them ASAP and if he found that they're hard to get hold of then he (the agent) was to call HR direct for an official written reference from them. They'll get you a job in the end.

Comment

Computer Futures seem to be doing this a lot recently.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Computer Futures seem to be doing this a lot recently.
                  Ahh they have new recruits...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Ahh they have new recruits...

Yep! New girl from ireland said its mandatory for 2 references to be considered, I said of course not. For some reason she then said, unlike English recruiters from Computer Futures, she does not use the references for pimping purposes. She will learn fast.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      Yep! New girl from ireland said its mandatory for 2 references to be considered, I said of course not. For some reason she then said, unlike English recruiters from Computer Futures, she does not use the references for pimping purposes. She will learn fast.
                      You should have said
                      "Ok then. First reference is HR at client co A and second reference is HR at client co B"
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X