• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

an MBA - is it worth it ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: an MBA - is it worth it ?

Yep, Bradford! It has had an international reputation as being one of the best MBA courses since the 1970s.

And back when I was younger, the main university had a good reputation for technical vs literary modern language courses.

Comment

I recollect FT used to publish ranked list of UK MBA programs once a year -- cant mind exactly when but think its sometime in spring, could be autumn tho

Comment

Business week has an article online about all the MBAs out of work or who have settled for lower paid jobs... Oh well, no doubt the buggers will benefit in any future upturn! There is one coming isn't there? Promise???

Comment

There are so many comments and responses to your question of whether doing an MBA - is it worth it. The simple answer is YES!

MBA (or any qualification for that matter) is an ASSET and a lifetime investment. This is an ASSET that will be with you till you die (unlike many other ASSET Classes that you may loose - this ASSET will stay with you forever, once you acquire it). You will be able to benefit both in material terms and in acquiring additional knowledge from this ASSET.

No doubt you will gain more benefit doing at one Business School compared to the other.

This is a lifetime investment - take a long term view. Choose a Business School that you can afford and choose the area that you want to pursue your career in the long-term (even if it is IT, I will stick with it, as I take a long term view!!!).

I am an MBA (Monash Uni Australia) - my life certainly changed (for the better). I may not have the fame, status, position etc etc of another high-flying MBA. But I am certainly a more confident person with more career options now than what I had before my MBA.

Enjoy your course.

Comment

You can find comments like the above in the prospectuses of several universities that offer MBA courses. They are usually written by fresh graduates happy to have passed and thinking as a result they belong to some special and higher order. The brainwashing that goes on in some MBA courses are second only to the Masonic rituals. MBA people as a result think the world owes them a living, usually beyond normal riches.
            Truth is with the exception of the Ivy League and a handful of European institutions (LBS, INSEAD, etc), getting it from a 2nd rate or even obscure University is more likely to harm your future (as well as your pocket) rather than enhance it.
            In all my years in IT, I have never come across someone with an MBA (contractor or permie). Admittedly I have met some from other walks of life that have not impressed me at all.
            Like they say, MBA = Means Bugger All.

Comment

I hate to say it but I do agree with TinTin -- many MBAs are professional liars and what would you expect from school that teaches them?

Ivy Leagues and LBS are good, however, weight costs very carefully -- I've decided for myself that paying £50k for Harvard is not justifiable, even if it accepted me, I am certain I'd succeed at getting into LBS, but again, costs outweight gains that I anticipate from MBA.

Bottom line: MBA is not a clear cut silver bullet answer to one's problems.

Comment

Working...
              X