• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When Was your Last Face To Face Interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Was your Last Face To Face Interview?

Let's get this straight, I'd be glad of an interview of any description right now but I was thinking last night about how things have changed in the last 10 years.

My last face to face was 2016 and up until that point I'd say a phone/Skype interview was pretty much the exception. I'd also travel for interviews to places some distance away where I'd have to B&B it Monday to Friday if I got the role. Remember doing Exeter, Jodrell Bank and Newcastle all in one week. Even flew to Cork for a face to face once.

Anyone still getting face to face interviews?

2014 but I would say even before that, between 2011 and 2014 it was a 50/50 shout as to whether it was face-to-face or, over the phone.

Video interviews only really became a thing for me during the pandemic but face-to-face interviews and office working started to die in 2012 and I think by 2014 they were starting to get rare.

Prior to 2012 everything was conducted face-to-face and in person and anyone wanting to work remotely was some sort of weird loon or, heretic. There were in-fact, pioneering trailblazers but we were just too dumb to see it that way at the time.

Comment

Pre lockdown it was going the way of having an initial interview via phone with a couple of more out there clients using something called Skype.

Comment

That got me thinking. I had to look at my CV!

Since then I've been offered work via my network - "hey LM are you free, do you fancy this". My current gig is with a new client so I did meet them over Teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          That got me thinking. I had to look at my CV!

Since then I've been offered work via my network - "hey LM are you free, do you fancy this". My current gig is with a new client so I did meet them over Teams.
          likewise. MS was then a 10 minute phone call (agency recommendation was enough so no interview).

Since then current client was 2 teams calls but I hadn't worked for nearly 3 years so perfectly understandable.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Last face to face was last year for the gig I'm on. They weren't bothered which method so I opted for face to face. Much prefer it to Teams/Zoom. Easier and more advantageous to tick the face fits/personality boxes face to face. I'm in service so interaction with people much more important than dev roles for example so get that some roles face to face doesn't add much value. Two identical people up against each other, one has a pretty factual teams interview and the other face to face gets the same information over but also the extra interaction going to the meeting room, getting settled etc the face to face will stick more in their mind IMO.

That said if the hiring managers were pretty young I might opt for teams as they'll be more used to online stuff but the senior service people tend to be a little older and remember the old times.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=ladymuck;n4250727]T"hey LM are you free, do you fancy this".

I keep sending you the same message and you never reply. I even send a nice picture which I bet the rest don't
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Green View View Post

Anyone still getting face to face interviews?
                Got my current job with a face to face interview. These zoom calls are a nightmare if you are good looking and have a firm handshake. They keep asking about programming and stuff.

Comment

Late 2017, but it was unusual even then and for quite a traditional employer (I was actually their first ever contractor)

Vast vast majority of my interviews since 2012 (when I went contracting) have been telephone - in fact, all but 2 I think

Comment

September 2022. Walked the interview and left a fully remote role.

I thought I would be OK with two days a week in Canary Wharf but I dread Wednesday and Thursday each week.

Comment

Working...
                    X