• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with "it's a remote contact but... we expect everyone in the office"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with "it's a remote contact but... we expect everyone in the office"

More and more contracts are advertised by agents as remote but during an interview state clients keep mumbling "yeah, it's a remote contact but generally we expect everyone in the office". Did anyone try to say "ok, here is my rate for remote days and here is my rate for on site days". Did that work?
    Also, what is everyone's perception, will the number of truly remote opportunities remain the same in the post-covid times or will control freaks eventually push everyone back to offices?

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
    More and more contracts are advertised by agents as remote but during an interview state clients keep mumbling "yeah, it's a remote contact but generally we expect everyone in the office". Did anyone try to say "ok, here is my rate for remote days and here is my rate for on site days". Did that work?
    Also, what is everyone's perception, will the number of truly remote opportunities remain the same in the post-covid times or will control freaks eventually push everyone back to offices?
    1) you need to work out a daily rate that covers the in office days and take the remote days as a bonus.
    2) I've heard stories about firms trying to work out how to get everyone back being remote to avoid their October to March heating bills. If you think it's bad at home imagine what the uncapped business energy bills look like.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So what if they offer you a reduction in rate for the days you are home cause you don't need to travel? Be careful what you push for.

I think it's your expectation that needs to change. The world has changed but only in response to a global pandemic and aren't anywhere near a 'norm'. We've moved from 100% on site to 100% remote for lockdown and are finding a happy medium as we come out of the back. You'd have to be mad to think that the world would stay 100%. Not a chance in hell that is going to happen. 100% WFH was to isolate, not because clients wanted it. Some clients, some gigs might be 100% remote going forward, but it's not the norm and it's not for us to bang desks and get upset when it isn't. If the client wants you on site 2 or 3 days a week then it's still better than it was pre-pandemic so take it as a positive not a negative and you'll feel better about it. If you don't like it don't take it. If it wasn't for the pandemic you'd be on site 100% of the time so hybrid working is an improvement.

Asking the client for different rates on and off site is ridiculous if you ask me. You are paid to do a piece of work that suits the client and if they need site time then so be it. Assume the rate is for site time in which case you are actually getting paid more for the home working.

100% remote was a cushy number for us yes but you are wrong to get complacent and are forgetting the reasons for it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
        Did anyone try to say "ok, here is my rate for remote days and here is my rate for on site days". Did that work?
        I did try that. It did not work.

If the contract was advertised as "remote" but at interview stage the client mumbled that everyone is expected in the office I would interrupt them and I'd clearly say I do not intend to go to the office ever. This should end the interview pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

If the contract was advertised as "remote" but at interview stage the client mumbled that everyone is expected in the office I would interrupt them and I'd clearly say I do not intend to go to the office ever. This should end the interview pretty quickly.
          Good luck with that. Could be possible but your contract opportunities are going to reduce significantly. I personally think that's a ridiculous stance to take when a vast majority of the world do it but it's your choice and if you can pull it off then fair enough.

EDIT : Do you mean the client wants you in full time or hybrid.. but either way, never stepping in a clients office isn't going to less of an option going forward IMO.

Comment

I actually had a similar situation recently. At least 2 months ago I applied for a contract with the London Stock Exchange that was advertised as "fully remote". Didn't hear anything until last week, when a chap called me:

LSE chap: "so, mr PCTNN, I see you're based in Edinburgh; the contract is based in London so what would you plan to do if you got the contract?"
            Me: "I'd work from my home office in Edinburgh given the role was advertised as fully remote."
            LSE chap: "OK, and what if we wanted to implement a progressive return to the office? What would you do then?"
            Me: "I'd probably look for a new remote role."
            LSE chap: "Ok, thanks. Have a nice day."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Good luck with that. Could be possible but your contract opportunities are going to reduce significantly. I personally think that's a ridiculous stance to take when a vast majority of the world do it but it's your choice and if you can pull it off then fair enough.

EDIT : Do you mean the client wants you in full time or hybrid.. but either way, never stepping in a clients office isn't going to less of an option going forward IMO.
              My stance is: if I apply to a role is advertised as "fully remote" that's what I expect. I don't think it's fair to ask you to go in the office at interview stage. Therefore what's the point in lying or playing games? I just tell them to shove it.

If a role is advertised as "hydrid" then I apply knowing what I'm getting myself into.

Comment

I actually had a similar situation recently. At least 2 months ago I applied for a contract with the London Stock Exchange that was advertised as "fully remote". Didn't hear anything until last week, when a chap called me:

LSE chap: "so, mr PCTNN, I see you're based in Edinburgh; the contract is based in London so what would you plan to do if you got the contract?"
                Me: "I'd work from my home office in Edinburgh given the role was advertised as fully remote."
                LSE chap: "OK, and what if we wanted to implement a progressive return to the office? What would you do then?"
                Me: "I'd probably look for a new remote role."
                LSE chap: "Ok, thanks. Have a nice day."
                Bullet dodged with LSEG.

Comment

My stance is: if I apply to a role is advertised as "fully remote" that's what I expect. I don't think it's fair to ask you to go in the office at interview stage. Therefore what's the point in lying or playing games? I just tell them to shove it.

If a role is advertised as "hydrid" then I apply knowing what I'm getting myself into.
                  Ok I see what you are saying. World isn't fair though and personally I'd be fully expecting that. Rather have it at interview than a month in to the gig TBH. But yeah, clear intentions on the advert would be the best option.

Comment

Just be honest and firm with the end client and if you applied for the role because of remote working then state this.

I suspect many firms to be not quite so adamant about hybrid working shortly, as big companies face gigantic energy bills soon, expect lots of large office blocks to be up for rent very soon. Though conversely I did read on LinkedIn about people wanting to get back to the office to avoid large bills at home! I took that with a pinch of salt to be fair as energy bills = commute costs (also rising). I know which one most will prefer to spend money on.

Comment

Working...
                    X