• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 ‘tasks’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 ‘tasks’

I am working inside IR35, and have received a new starter email telling me I must set up my intranet profile (I do have access to the internet) with information about me, ‘follow’ at least five ‘colleagues’ and write three sentences about how I have recently demonstrated living the company’s values.

As I’m a contractor, I’m hoping none of this applies to me, but on the other hand I did still have to complete a lot of mandatory training about the company’s policies (working practices, fire safety, GDPR etc) so I’m not sure exactly where the line is drawn.

My initial view is that I can ignore this as I’m not a ‘colleague’, but is it likely I’ll be pulled up on it? The other training was mandatory to everyone using the company’s systems/hardware/buildings, so I can understand that, but the rest seems a bit much.

intranet not internet…

Comment

You are inside so can be subject to Direction and Control so yes they can ask you to do all this.

The only reason we wouldn't normally do this is if you were outside and were trying not to look like an employee. As you inside that is now irrelevant.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sdd View Post
        As I’m a contractor, I’m hoping none of this applies to me,
        You are a no-rights employee, not a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

You are a no-rights employee, not a contractor.
          My employer is the umbrella company though surely?

Comment

Your employer is the umbrella, but to the client you are treated as a no-rights employee.

Inside IR-35 = do what the client tells you.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You are but you have to be clear the gap between being inside and employed. Yes you are employed by the umbrella but that's a bit irrelevant. That's a system to get paid nothing more. It's your SDS at the client that is important which states you are inside.

Don't confuse the term 'no-rights employee' with employment. The key term is 'effectively'. It means you are taxed like a perm even though you are a contractor under the direction of the client. You are effectively a no rights employee but don't take the term employee literally.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You are but you have to be clear the gap between being inside and employed. Yes you are employed by the umbrella but that's a bit irrelevant. That's a system to get paid nothing more. It's your SDS at the client that is important which states you are inside.

Don't confuse the term 'no-rights employee' with employment. The key term is 'effectively'. It means you are taxed like a perm even though you are a contractor under the direction of the client. You are effectively a no rights employee but don't take the term employee literally.
                So is it still accurate to refer to myself as a contractor or should I be using another term? ‘I am effectively a no-rights employee’ might result in a few weird looks

Comment

So is it still accurate to refer to myself as a contractor or should I be using another term? ‘I am effectively a no-rights employee’ might result in a few weird looks
                  You can refer to yourself as a contractor if you want, but just remember that if the client asks you to do something, you do it.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You can call yourself what you like but if you're going to put it on the company intranet site, I (because that is the sort of person I am) would totally put "no-rights employee" as my job title if they're going to force me to do all that crap.

If you want to maintain a better relationship with your pseudo-employer, then maybe just say you're a temporary worker.

Comment

Working...
                    X