• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work must be undertaken in the UK - outside IR35 contract clause

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Try googling.......
    https://lmgtfy.app/?q=fixed+ip+addre...dband+provider

and your home broadband router will almost certainly support DDNS. Most do (BT, Sky, etc).
    I need to use a DDNS - BT Community

As for high power..... Raspberry Pi is more than capable, but hard to setup.
    Or I'd use a Cisco ASA 5505 asa 5505: Search Result | eBay

I hope you're not a network architect.
    Most consumer ones support DDNS but not a OpenVPN or WireGuard server. I just purchased a small router that I can plug into the WAN. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm going to update everyone with my holiday pics over the next few weeks.

Let's hope I don't need to update everyone with a pic of myself on the front of the DailyMail website for getting sacked :-D

No, not a network architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Fridges are one of the most common causes of home fires. After cigarettes, stoves, etc.

Unlike computers whose switched mode power supplies are very low risk. It's why they use them in data centres...
      Then it must stand to reason that CTA is using a smart fridge to run their home VPN.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Then it must stand to reason that CTA is using a smart fridge to run their home VPN.

In this respect, I'd have two choices. Keep a laptop running (bad idea), or keep a custom built desktop running. I'd imagine the desktop will be ok.. maybe. Once a fan stopped running and I have had issues with the liquid coolant to getting to the CPU. My tulip PC building skills are more of a risk than a PSU blowing up.

A low powered router running OpenWRT is surely a better idea?

the fridge does run linux though so maybe....

Comment

How about starting a new thread and not completely derailing this one with a solution to your poor advice?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            How about starting a new thread and not completely derailing this one with a solution to your poor advice?

If OP wants to take the risk, everything he needs to do it is in this thread, mostly in my posts.

If he doesn't want to take the risk, then he can move on.

Comment

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
              If OP wants to take the risk, everything he needs to do it is in this thread, mostly in my posts.

The OP thought the reason for it being in his contract was to do with tax.

Your illegal or contract-breeching suggestions in this thread (and others) is not something that should be recommended to any professional business, but it's clear that you are not professional.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The advice you've got in your posts is incomplete crap.

But if the OP wishes to destroy his contracting career by being a grade A muppet he's welcome to try and follow your advice - personally I would be asking the end client whether it's possible or not and then accepting their decision...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Dragging things back to the original point if the company specify work must be done in the UK then it should be done in the UK unless they grant you Jan exception.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The advice you've got in your posts is incomplete crap.
                    Other than the contract breaking issues, why is the technical side crap?

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Dragging things back to the original point if the company specify work must be done in the UK then it should be done in the UK unless they grant you Jan exception.
                    This is contractually correct, maybe even legally. The options I have suggested are at your own risk. You're not going to hurt your client by doing some work from your ski chalet for a few days here and there though... I've seen people access their SaaS ERP systems from all over the world FFS.
                    Last edited by ConsultingTechArchitect; 4 July 2022, 15:15.

Comment

Other than the contract breaking issues...
                      I'm going to close this thread because of your opinion that breach of contract is something that should be done and that you proudly boast you do regularly.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X