• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work must be undertaken in the UK - outside IR35 contract clause

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post

I'm talking about myself within the context of the post. It's highly relevant to the questions the OP asked.

I'm telling him exactly how I do what he wants to do. I'm expanding on how I could do it better which is the same way he can do it better.

Odd that you know his client's set up...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm talking about myself within the context of the post. It's highly relevant to the questions the OP asked.

I'm telling him exactly how I do what he wants to do. I'm expanding on how I could do it better which is the same way he can do it better.
      While ignoring the fact that the only way the OP can legally do what he wants is by checking if it's possible with the end client.

Because the OP's contract says all work needs to be done within the UK so working abroad and / or connecting to the end client's systems from abroad is a breach of the terms within his contract.

I could go on and show how your technical advice isn't 100% as well but Lance has done a good job of that already.
      Last edited by eek; 4 July 2022, 12:00.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I could go on and show how your technical advice isn't 100% as well but Lance has done a good job of that already.
        How is the advice not good?

A public VPN is risky as IP addresses are listed publicly.

What would be wrong with having a VPN server in one of the public cloud or rackspace?

A home VPN would require a static IP which most people don't have without upgrading to business broadband (which I will likely do).

Comment

How is the advice not good?

A public VPN is risky as IP addresses are listed publicly.

What would be wrong with having a VPN server in one of the public cloud or rackspace?

A home VPN would require a static IP which most people don't have without upgrading to business broadband (which I will likely do).
          ??? I have never had a problem connecting to my home VPN when away - the fact you don't know the obvious fix (and there are multiple usable solutions) to that issue shows me that you don't know that much when it comes to fixing this problem that you've given yourself....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

We really really really don't care.

Typical troll behavouir to start some posts then take the topic completely off topic to talk about themselves.

Could almost be inneresting.
            Originally posted by eek View Post

??? I have never had a problem connecting to my home VPN when away - the fact you don't know the obvious fix (and there are multiple usable solutions) to that issue shows me that you don't know that much when it comes to fixing this problem that you've given yourself....
            Maybe you're talking about some sort of Dynamic DNS solution.

This would need to run on the router rather than a computer though, otherwise I'm leaving a high-power (fire risk) device powered on for weeks at a time.

Looks like I need to buy a router with DDNS support.

Thanks mate, you're a legend. Hope the ops gets some value out of this.
            Last edited by ConsultingTechArchitect; 4 July 2022, 12:42.

Comment

This would need to run on the router rather than a computer though, otherwise I'm leaving a high-power (fire risk) device powered on for weeks at a time.
              Ok. I'll bite. What kind of computer presents a fire risk when left switched on?

Comment

Thanks mate, you're a legend. Hope the ops gets some value out of this.
                Yeah not to be an idiot and speak to his client.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Ok. I'll bite. What kind of computer presents a fire risk when left switched on?
                  Your smart fridge?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Looks like I need to buy a router with DDNS support.
                    Try googling.......
                    https://lmgtfy.app/?q=fixed+ip+addre...dband+provider

and your home broadband router will almost certainly support DDNS. Most do (BT, Sky, etc).
                    I need to use a DDNS - BT Community

As for high power..... Raspberry Pi is more than capable, but hard to setup.
                    Or I'd use a Cisco ASA 5505 asa 5505: Search Result | eBay

I hope you're not a network architect.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Your smart fridge?
                      Fridges are one of the most common causes of home fires. After cigarettes, stoves, etc.

Unlike computers whose switched mode power supplies are very low risk. It's why they use them in data centres...
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X