• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work must be undertaken in the UK - outside IR35 contract clause

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ConsultingTechArchitect is not a serious person, better to pat them on the head gently and ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      ConsultingTechArchitect is not a serious person, better to pat them on the head gently and ignore.
      The risk / problem is that they are posting on a professional forum with advice that at first glance seems rational.

In the same way that the advice of a tax scheme owner looks sane when you desperately want extra cash...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post

That's why you use a private VPN and not a provider with IP addresses listed publicly, you can also set this up yourself in AWS/GCP etc.

If your role only involves accessing SaaS systems and Office 365, there's even less chance anyone will know you're not in the UK.

Here's a few other people that have made this work: https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...working-abroad
        At risk of encouraging this behavior....., if you want to do it properly, use a home broadband in the UK and setup a hairpin VPN..
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The worrying bit is that he claims he is an architect - which means his job is to care about things such as data security...
          I care a lot about security.

During my last ski trip:
          • I didn't have any production data with me nor did I have access
          • Test data was data I created
          • I accessed systems (test systems that I created in Azure) via a secure VPN
          • All access was done from within the EEA and was within my clients data protection policy
          Please point to the specific security issues.

Comment

Here's a few other people that have made this work: https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...working-abroad
            Wow. A few people got away with it. Must be OK then. Also completely missing the fact these are employees not expensive suppliers. The same flexibility that might let an employee keep their job is not offered to suppliers taking the piss.

Keep going.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[/LIST]Please point to the specific security issues.
              The clients security policy is the specific issue. It is not for you to dictate a clients policy back and argue it. It's for you to follow. The specific technical issues don't matter.

There is more to security about working away and not advising the client. The client may have other legal responsibilities such as H&S, tax and so on. Yes you say they don't apply to you but the client doesn't know that and they only way they can manage it is to know.

I imagine any client indemnity or insurances they have in place will be void if you are not doing something that is stipulated in there i.e. managing employee and supplier work locations.

Hard to believe but there are things out there that are bigger and more important than you.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 4 July 2022, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The risk / problem is that they are posting on a professional forum with advice that at first glance seems rational.

In the same way that the advice of a tax scheme owner looks sane when you desperately want extra cash...
                They will probably get warned or canned when a mod notices.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

At risk of encouraging this behavior....., if you want to do it properly, use a home broadband in the UK and setup a hairpin VPN..
                  This would be the gold standard but my router doesn't support VPN server software. I'm considering ditching my BT router and getting one that supports VPN clients/server.

I'm cautious about leaving devices powered on while I am away too. Fire risk.

The performance (high quality video and audio) for MS Teams is a critical consideration too. WireGuard is faster then OpenVPN for this purpose.
                  Last edited by ConsultingTechArchitect; 4 July 2022, 11:19.

Comment

This would be the gold standard but my router doesn't support VPN server software. I'm considering ditching my BT router and getting one that supports VPN clients/server
                    We really really really don't care.

Typical troll behavouir to start some posts then take the topic completely off topic to talk about themselves.

Could almost be inneresting.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 July 2022, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

We really really really don't care.

Typical troll behavouir to start some posts then take the topic completely off topic to talk about themselves.

Could almost be inneresting.
                      I'm talking about myself within the context of the post. It's highly relevant to the questions the OP asked.

I'm telling him exactly how I do what he wants to do. I'm expanding on how I could do it better which is the same way he can do it better.

Comment

Working...
                      X