• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do recruiters ask for your rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do recruiters ask for your rate?

Ad clearly states 750 outside, recruiter asks me what my rate is on the phone then tells me the role is 550 - 650. Why are they like this?

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
    Ad clearly states 750 outside, recruiter asks me what my rate is on the phone then tells me the role is 550 - 650. Why are they like this?
    Because it got you to apply for a role that you wouldn't have done otherwise. And they live in hope that someone worth £750 may take a £550 a day contract.

Remember agents are chancers..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I no longer reveal my rate - you are just asking to be lowballed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
        I no longer reveal my rate - you are just asking to be lowballed.
        The better way of handling this is to say that it's slightly higher than the one you're hoping for, telling them that this 'slightly higher than the one you want' rate is the one you're on now. All (estate) agents want to be able to save some money, but being cagey about what you're currently on gets you nowhere when you can get far further giving them a figure they couldn't possibly verify.

Of course, this top end can only stretch so far, you need to be competitive too.
        Last edited by PerfectStorm; 9 June 2022, 17:32.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Post is just an excuse to wave his rate around IMO.

If he was genuinely confused they'd have done a search and read the many threads we've already got on this topic.
          https://www.google.com/search?q=recr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Post is just an excuse to wave his rate around IMO.

If he was genuinely confused they'd have done a search and read the many threads we've already got on this topic.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=recr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
            I searched. Question wasn't about how to negotiate rate. Question was asking why recruiters say one thing in their ads then another think on the phone. Do they get something out of it if I accept a lower rate? I assumed they always took a percentage on top of the rate, not a fixed fee made higher by my lower rate?

and yes, it's a nice rate, thanks for the compliment.

Comment

Question was asking why recruiters say one thing in their ads then another think on the phone.
              To hook you in. It's like a car advert where the model in the ad has every conceivable optional extra fitted.

Do they get something out of it if I accept a lower rate?
              Yes, more likely to get the business as the client is seeing a more acceptable rate

I assumed they always took a percentage on top of the rate, not a fixed fee made higher by my lower rate?
              That depends. They normally take a percentage of the overall rate, but if there is an opportunity for them to make more money and get away with it, they will.

Your comments would imply that while you may have tax lawyers and immigration lawyers etc and that you've travelled round the world, that you're still quite wet behind the ears.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

it's quite naive to think that the agent you speak to even knows what role you're applying for and what rate it's been advertised at. Another assumption is that they only have advertised it in one place and that's what you're looking at.

Half the blasted adverts are fishing anyway, so how do you even know you've applied for an actual opportunity.

very wet behind the ears. I'd almost say 'downloaded with the last service pack'
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

To increase their profit. Have you been contracting long?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    it's quite naive to think that the agent you speak to even knows what role you're applying for and what rate it's been advertised at. Another assumption is that they only have advertised it in one place and that's what you're looking at.

Half the blasted adverts are fishing anyway, so how do you even know you've applied for an actual opportunity.

very wet behind the ears. I'd almost say 'downloaded with the last service pack'
                    What are you talking about? Totally unrelated tripe.

I've got an interview set up for Friday, I'm going to ask about rate and see if the client are happy that the contractor is trying to pocket the arbitrage on accepted rate vs top end budget. I'm not desperate for the role so don't care if I burn it.

I've not once encountered a bait and switch with rate. Such an idiot I must be!!!

Originally posted by wtfh View Post

Your comments would imply that while you may have tax lawyers and immigration lawyers etc and that you've travelled round the world, that you're still quite wet behind the ears.
                    That doesn't logically follow. I wasn't sure if the arbitrage was being pocketed. That doesn't mean I can't get a visa to work somewhere else for a few years.
                    Last edited by ConsultingTechArchitect; 10 June 2022, 01:41.

Comment

Working...
                    X