• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abandon principles and take £800 inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTFH
    replied
    Depends on what your principles are and why you are abandoning them. If it's about not taking Inside roles and you've never been offered one before when you've had no better offers on the table, then it's not a principle, it's a fact.

Also depends on how much you have in your warchest.
    And depends on the likelihood of you being offered something better in a timeframe that is advantageous
    And depends on your financial management skills
    And depends on your tax situation and how you have managed your outside roles
    And depends on what your burn rate is, and whether £800 a day inside is going to exceed it suitably, or not.

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied
    Inside is a load of old cobblers for us 1% of contractors who actually tried to operate as pseudo-businesses, but it's shooting yourself in the foot if you don't take it with nothing else on the horizon.

I've an Inside contract on a bit more than that, and the deductions are fairly eye-watering but earning >>> not earning imo. £800 PAYE is probably the equivalent of £550 Outside so not too shabby anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
    I’ve held fast since the IR35 changes and not taken an inside role. Just been offered 800 inside (12 month duration) and wondering if I should take it or not? My outside role is about to end and this role is on the table already.

Hold tight for an outside or bend over for HMRC and take inside?
    Take it - the next year and beyond are going to be very tough.

If you end up out of work you may need some of that cash you seem to resent paying to HMRC.
    Last edited by TheDude; 1 June 2022, 13:09.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    How the bloody hell would we know whether you should take it or not? It's your daft principles at play here, not ours.

THat said, having principles that stop you taking gigs that still puts you in the top 0.x% of earners is a little bit daft IMO. Letting the tax tail wag your income dog isn't smart. With such narrow thinking I'd guess you've not bothered to research how to mitigate the tax and make the most of an inside gig either. Extra month on the bench waiting for an outside gig and you are down on the year so your 'principles' are a bit misguided.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 June 2022, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

• Abandon principles and take £800 inside IR35?

I’ve held fast since the IR35 changes and not taken an inside role. Just been offered 800 inside (12 month duration) and wondering if I should take it or not? My outside role is about to end and this role is on the table already.

Hold tight for an outside or bend over for HMRC and take inside?

Working...
X