• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abandon principles and take £800 inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ConsultingTechArchitect
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You’ve answered your own question.

Definitely not what I’d do, but I’ve no desire to be the richest man in the graveyard, I would prefer to have time when I’m not working, time to do things I consider important, time to spend with people I consider important to me, because money can’t buy time back.
    The trick is, you only do work that you’re very good at. I can churn out high quality work in next to no time.

I spent 33 days in ski resorts this season with my family and will spend more than a month in Spain this summer plus the many weekend trips I do with the wife - there’s no need to be the richest man in the graveyard, you just need to improve your ways of working.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
    I’m running an outside role along side this one @720/day with a 6 figure war chest so I’m not desperate.

Maybe I can stick to my guns and refuse inside work.

My partner also works her clients under our ltd so even if I stop contributing to revenue for a while, the business is still active.

You’ve answered your own question.

Definitely not what I’d do, but I’ve no desire to be the richest man in the graveyard, I would prefer to have time when I’m not working, time to do things I consider important, time to spend with people I consider important to me, because money can’t buy time back.

Leave a comment:

• ConsultingTechArchitect
    replied
    I’m running an outside role along side this one @720/day with a 6 figure war chest so I’m not desperate.

Maybe I can stick to my guns and refuse inside work.

My partner also works her clients under our ltd so even if I stop contributing to revenue for a while, the business is still active.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    It's hard to keep hold of those principles when you don't have a gig for nearly 6 months and you see the war chest take a serious hammering.

I won't have fond memories of the first 5 months of this year. Was in the middle of tweaking CV for a permy role then an outside gig comes along right out the blue.

Fingers crossed this one lasts as long as it needs to (6m) and I don't have to go through all that again, as mentally as well as financially not sure I could do it.

Good luck.

qh

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
    I’ve held fast since the IR35 changes and not taken an inside role. Just been offered 800 inside (12 month duration) and wondering if I should take it or not? My outside role is about to end and this role is on the table already.

Hold tight for an outside or bend over for HMRC and take inside?
    What is the financial health of your LTD?

If you overpaid yourself big dividends, then 9 months will come back bit you on the a**e, me thinks.
    Take care of the CT in order to the survive the RT with your wifey.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    What if the client now imposes employee-like terms on your engagement? Do you have mutuality of obligation now? Can you take leave when you want?
    Mutuality of Obligation is not about leaving when you want. It's about being offered other work after the initial assignment has ended. An employee expects to be given another project, a contractor shouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    There is more to it than the money.

What do you do with your Ltd?

You're going to stop being able to claim expenses for that company, are you ready for that?

What if the client now imposes employee-like terms on your engagement? Do you have mutuality of obligation now? Can you take leave when you want?

How about working from home - what if they decide they want to get their moneys worth from you?

The taxation is just the beginning of the decision-making.

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    Principles or put food on the table. Seems straight forward to me.

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    It depends on what the outside rate you are used to is - If it is 800 a day outside then 800 a day inside is no thanks

If on the other hand 650 outside vs 800 inside the numbers get closer
    Last edited by NowPermOutsideUK; 1 June 2022, 15:48.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Would I take it? No.

Should you take it? No idea, obviously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X