• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview red flags

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

What's a TM in this context?
    Test Manager, as in couldnt manage her own time and workload never mind overall management and delivery of an area of system functionality.

She even had a old Landie yet couldnt make it into work when a few inches of snow fell one morning. Everyone else on the team made it in despite only having 2 wheel drives.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

the TM was absolutely hopeless at management........ The TM had been on long term sick and just come back to work, hence the delay with the interview.

He apologised and said the TM had just got back to work after a nervous breakdown. I said he's going to have another because he hasnt a clue what he's doing!
    What's a TM in this context?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
    I had a young kid interview me a few years ago and his first question was "so why are you a contractor?"
    When interviewing for a perm role once, I was asked why I wasn't.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Not answering the OP's question but I was interviewing somebody for a graduate scheme years ago and we were trying to work out his motivation for a career in IT. When we asked "Why do you want a job in IT" his answer was, "When I'm at home I like to play with myself". I think he meant he enjoys exploring computing concepts in his own time. It must have taken a good 40 seconds for the HR girl to be able to respond with the next question. I was done, I couldn't speak for the rest of the interview I was laughing so hard. We offered him the job but he didnt accept the offer.

Leave a comment:

• ResistanceFighter
    replied
    I had a young kid interview me a few years ago and his first question was "so why are you a contractor?"

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    "We work the job, not the hours." (this was a permy interview) qh
    I made the mistake of working for a company that made no secret of its long hours culture and it was a huge mistake. I made the second mistake of assuming that annual bonus was my overtime payment without realising that technology was somewhere down the queue when it came to handing out bonuses. My bonus varied between 40% on good years to 2% on slightly less good years.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    "We work the job, not the hours." (this was a permy interview)
    Tell me you did respond "oh great to hear, someone has to do it since I work the hours and not 1 minute longer"

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    "We're partnered with HCL"

"You'll be working alongside the code monkeys"

"Contractors are not allowed desks by the window"

"That is my jaguar over there <pointing>. And see, that is my personal parking space"

"She is returning next week.. had some kind of breakdown.. we want you to get up to speed and work on some tickets asap"

"We're a boutique consultancy. We do the work that other consultancies are afraid to do"

Do enough of this tulip and you'll go crazy.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Mentally I left the room there and then.

qh
    Perfect, I'll do enough of a job to fill 9am to lunch.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied

Mentally I left the room there and then.

qh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X