• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit surprised....contractors being told to take time off for 'wellness'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Hey?

He's explaining to you in simple terms why myself and others won't pay for a laptop if we are within IR35.
    And I'm explaining why it's stupid. Cutting off your nose to spite your face, to prove a point to the oddities on here or make some sort of small protest about the Government legislation.

Like any of you would turn down an Inside role paying 25% more than the equivalent Outside one just because you had to buy a laptop. Because obviously the computing power you already have access to is completely insufficient for writing some code and accessing GitHub

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Well I mean that's just silly. Inside/Outside there's no difference to most people except for the small subset of geeks on here.
      If geeks is defined as "people who run their own ltd company", then yes. Of course, the massive difference is the amount of NI you are forced to pay, the ability to income shift to your lovely spouse (whoever he may be), and income smoothing to cover lean years.

You're right that if it's a question between being unemployed and providing your own laptop, it's a bit silly not to take the role, buton the other hand also silly to not understand that such a request for an inside IR35 contract is taking the piss somewhat. On the gripping hand... ope, that's it.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Particularly if you can accept another role that doesn’t take the piss.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Going back to the original post - if anyone can remember back that far - if the client described it as having to have a week off then it would be a lot more straightforward, although having to have it at a time of year most people are trying to keep their heads down at work after Christmas is never going to be that popular.

As for providing your own equipment I work in Software Testing and there isn't a way in the world I would install pre-release software on my own device.

Comment

Working...
          X