• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Haven't worked since start day, been told I would be paid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kloos
    replied
    I've also had similar for contracts, both inside and outside IR35, and perm roles. Use your own laptop to attend as many meetings as a guest as you can. Read docs, chase whoever you can. The important bit is to cover your back to make sure you have done everything reasonably possible. In this role I have been having good old-fashioned phone calls with as many people as possible to get up to speed. Just don't get used to us and get ready for the shift to being busy and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    My previous role was as a Scala/Spark/BigData developer at a large bank.

Machines are accessed remotely from ones desk and all new joiners receive a machine with default specs of 4GB RAM, 2 cores processor.

It took three weeks to get this upgraded to developer spec despite raising the request on my first day.

I had just enough horsepower to read documentation on the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Happened several times to me especially at bigger companies, takes them weeks to get laptop and accounts organised. I just sit at my desk, ask them to print out docs for me to read, join meetings where I can, offer myself to do something and just wait and invoice. This is all when working on-site, remote working may be a bit more difficult

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
    Started on a new contract on the 4th Jan last Tues, basically until now I've only had a few calls with a HR person and a ten minute call with my PM.

Still waiting on my email to be created so have done nothing, not even reading docs etc

This is, every day they have told me that day I would be working, and HR person has said I'll be paid since my start date (4th)

I never had anything remotely similar happen before, sometimes a slow start but you would still work a little

Now every day I expect to be working but end up with nothing

Is it possible /probable I'll be paid? I am wondering as now today they have said it will take another 2 days to start work..
    Are you inside, outside or permanent?
    Have you any written/email evidence from HR that you will be paid, or is it just verbal?
    How frequently do you chase for your credentials to be set up?
    Are you chasing by phone or email?

If you're working with a PM, they should be the one most interested in getting you connected, as it is their project that will be impacted by delays. I'd suggest that you badger them.

Leave a comment:

• Haven't worked since start day, been told I would be paid?

Started on a new contract on the 4th Jan last Tues, basically until now I've only had a few calls with a HR person and a ten minute call with my PM.

Still waiting on my email to be created so have done nothing, not even reading docs etc

This is, every day they have told me that day I would be working, and HR person has said I'll be paid since my start date (4th)

I never had anything remotely similar happen before, sometimes a slow start but you would still work a little

Now every day I expect to be working but end up with nothing

Is it possible /probable I'll be paid? I am wondering as now today they have said it will take another 2 days to start work..

Working...
X