• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I need to provide a sick note to end client if I am caught inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northernladuk
    replied
    Bit of a odd turn of events from a fairly legitimate question about contractual process of notification of absence which is only an issue for contractors to how to act professionally when sick which affects absolutely everyone in the world with a job.

We called out the client for acting inappropriately but as with many of these the other half of the story has come out and it appears now the OP has made a rod for their own back and almost forced the client to take action because they've not done what any professional person would have. Nice to see both sides of an issue for a change and certainly puts a different light on it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Does no-one use out of office notifications any more?
    It's more that people ignore them and the fact that because you are ill, outlook says you are out today but still around tomorrow so they just shift what would be a 5 minute call into a short con-call the following day.

Doing X rarely fixes a problem it just transforms issue A into issue B as people work around your illness in a way that is for their benefit and not yours.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Does no-one use out of office notifications any more?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I do this this as permie, never mind as a contractor!
    Unless you are dead (or near enough) you keep just enough eye on things that nothing goes wrong. Which does mean 30 seconds in the morning forwarding meeting requests to a suitable replacement with an apology added or requesting postponement. It's really not difficult.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What's wrong with that? If I was off sick, unless I was on my deathbed, I'd be advising I'm not in and outline what is outstanding to make sure the work continues smoothly. Even if you call in day by day you can give a 5 day update so they can plan around you.
    I do this this as permie, never mind as a contractor!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What's wrong with that? If I was off sick, unless I was on my deathbed, I'd be advising I'm not in and outline what is outstanding to make sure the work continues smoothly. Even if you call in day by day you can give a 5 day update so they can plan around you.

This is one of the areas I think contractors need to be a step above perms, even if you are inside IR35. You are a supplier, not a bod on site so if you've a commitment to a client you've got to go above and beyond to ensure you don't interrupt a clients work.

You are well enough to post on here so you are well enough to check what you were supposed to be doing and advise the client.
    This .... if I was your client and saw you posting on here, I'd be well miffed.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
    Just got a text from her asking whether there are any meetings that need covering today.... obviously she thinks "I'm not well so not working" means I'm still logging in and reading emails and checking my diary

This is one of the areas I think contractors need to be a step above perms, even if you are inside IR35. You are a supplier, not a bod on site so if you've a commitment to a client you've got to go above and beyond to ensure you don't interrupt a clients work.

You are well enough to post on here so you are well enough to check what you were supposed to be doing and advise the client.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
    Just got a text from her asking whether there are any meetings that need covering today.... obviously she thinks "I'm not well so not working" means I'm still logging in and reading emails and checking my diary
    That would be the professional thing to do - check what you have on and let your manager know.
    Or, take the other option of "I'm well enough to post on the internet and send texts, but not well enough to do a 5 minute check on my calendar"

Leave a comment:

• Willy Win
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    No way at all....

None of their business. The brolly is your employer in any case. Its not as if they're paying you anyway...

If I'm sick, which is never, I let the client know AS A COURTESY. Thats it. No sick notes.

I had an agent like this once, who use to refer to the contractors as "her people". Then she'd want thinks like sick notes and holiday requests which she said she had to authorise!!! (Even tried to tell me once I couldnt have 2 weeks off even though client was ok with it - i.e. didnt want 2 weeks on non-billing more like!)

I said no. Client was ok. As long as I cleared time away with them they were happy so nothing else mattered.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X