• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Co. Growth Grant ~ 25K ~ Open Until Feb 2022 ~ Cheshire and Other Areas

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Sad thing is my opinion on eligibilty is better than that of ....
    Dream on northernladuk.

The bloke appointed to ticking the box is far more random than me I can assure you.
    So you say.. One question; who appointed you to the role of grant assessor? Did that role need any qualifications? I'll bet not...And I'll bet the role was self appointed. Am I right?

You seem to think the person at the other end is somehow a professional in what they do which couldn't be further from the truth.
    You know this how exactly? Can you even give me his name?

I know what we are and what we do so there is no doubt my opinion trumps his.
    Delusions of grandeur here I think.

The fact you got it proves that.
    No. Not really. It only proves you like to make things up.

And you'll see up the thread it's not just my opinion. It's that of every single poster in this thread, and that of anyone with a hole in their arse that has half a clue about contracting.
    There are a lot of people on here that claim all this is not possible, even though they've not tried to make an application, and been approved or rejected. I'll grant you that. It's their loss.

It's key because everyone else in this tread is calling you out. No one believes you so you need to provide further evidence to salvage any credibility.
    I really couldn't care less, and that's the truth. The point of my original post wasn't to gain acceptance in any way, or seek validation, it was to bring the grant to the attention of SMEs who are capable of making their own mind up on whether it's for them or not. This happens incidentally every time you post as it bumps the thread to the top, so thank you.

It could be that you explain it to us and we all look like absolute chumps and owe you an apology
    That's the first smart thing I've seen you post all evening. You've finally understood that in order to know one way or the other, you have to try (and make an application), or at least look at the criteria for your ward. I've explained everything that can be explained in the 1st post. If you still don't understand then move on.

The fact you are still skirting around the issue speaks volumes.
    I'm only being polite, as you're taking the time to post. I'll reply where possible.

If this was all above board you'd have quite happily explained your business plan and your spending just to make us look like idiots..
    No. Not really northernladuk. If it wasn't above board, the very last thing I'd have done is pop onto a public forum to talk about it. Now that would be silly.

In your mind, I have to continue to explain myself, but that's on you only. It's not my fault you don't have the mental capacity to complete a successful business plan and grant application. That failure on your part doesn't mandate that I agree to anything you demand.

But this is exactly how every thread on these business loans, grants go. No detail, skirting issues, no evidence.
    I could take you a bit more seriously if you'd tried and failed, but you haven't even tried....

You remind me of a 6 year old that got a push bike for his birthday. I was at his party. I remember this clear as day. He was bawling his eyes out at the fact he was going to fall off and hurt himself. Absolutely convinced he was, that this was going to end in tears. Except, he'd never even tried to ride a push bike....The grown-ups knew better as they has some experience and convinced him to have a go with some stabilizers.

Giving you my business plan and application responses will be a pointless exercise as your business will be different to mine. No two are the same. Yes, it's a vanilla set up, but we all do different things in different ways.

I'm beginning to think that that this isn't about right or wrong, it's just that you don't know how to put a successful grant application together.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Perhaps re-read that sentence again. I am not accusing you of lying.
      OK.

The above is massaging the truth for 99% of the contractors here and probably for you too, since you wrote your OP as a suggestion to others here.
      It depends on what you do for a living. If you only need a laptop to do your job (a bum on seat) then asking for funding is a bit OTT. The equipment I use for my job costs anywhere from 5K to 50K. anything above 10K I rent.

My basic point is this: you shouldn't need emergency public funding for a one-person contracting business and you should expect to be roundly laughed at for suggesting that you do, which seems to be the consensus so far, but perhaps others will take a different view in due course.
      I don't need emergency funding. The grant wasn't an emergency grant, and I didn't need to prove any emergency to be accepted.

I don't know where the emergency part came into it. Seems to be another moral interdiction.

Regardless, best of luck to you.
      Thanks.

Comment

Ah, got it. The OP is a cabbie...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime View Post
          I don't need emergency funding. The grant wasn't an emergency grant, and I didn't need to prove any emergency to be accepted.

I don't know where the emergency part came into it. Seems to be another moral interdiction.
          This part:

These grants are awarded if you can convince the council your expenditure will contribute to the growth of your limited company following pandemic disruption.
          These were presumably the funds supplied by central gov't to be disbursed by local authorities as emergency pandemic support. That was the point of them, to help businesses that were severely disrupted by the pandemic. I agree that, providing you are straightforward about the nature of your business, it is for them to determine whether you have a reasonable case, but these funds were not intended for the typical one-person business that we see around here.

Regarding the morality, the situation you described in the OP smells a little from my POV, but that isn't really my point, it's that the vast majority of contracting businesses do not intend to grow into something else and your point about being inside IR35 and claiming these funds is laughable in the context of growing a business. Overall, your story doesn't really stack up but, regardless of that, it won't stack up for the vast majority here even if you are personally growing a consultancy or something similar.

Comment

Being a proper biznizz innit, and not one of you disguised employee, bum on seat contractor types, I got the Council distributed grants, for the periods that non-essential retail was closed, both in 2020 and 2021. Very nice they were too, thanks tax payers

The qualifying criteria were based on NDR valuations though, which cuts out bulltulip shyster types like the OP.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

This part:

.... it is for them to determine whether you have a reasonable case, but these funds were not intended for the typical one-person business that we see around here.
              You just made that up didn't you... go on, be honest. If you didn't, please link to the govt. publication that clarifies this. I'll bet you can't.

This is the problem with judging an application on moral grounds. People just make it up as they go along, and then act as though it's gospel.

As an opinion yes, but a factual obstacle, no, and it shouldn't stop people from applying if they do qualify. If they can get over the moral interdiction that is. I'm not judging either. Each to his or her own.

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Being a proper biznizz innit, and not one of you disguised employee, bum on seat contractor types, I got the Council distributed grants, for the periods that non-essential retail was closed, both in 2020 and 2021. Very nice they were too, thanks tax payers

The qualifying criteria were based on NDR valuations though, which cuts out bulltulip shyster types like the OP.

I'll translate that for you if I may...The council decided to offer up a grant to businesses that were already giving them a 'cut' via business rates, given they'd likely get it back again via the same rates at some point.

The only difference with the growth grant is that central govt. gets it back via corporation tax, and not the local council.

LOL.

I'm glad to hear you actually got something though. Makes a change.

Comment

You just made that up didn't you... go on, be honest.
                When you said you weren't a BoS permietractor, you just made it up, didn't you? Go on, be honest.

Comment

This part:

You just made that up didn't you... go on, be honest. If you didn't, please link to the govt. publication that clarifies this. I'll bet you can't.

This is the problem with judging an application on moral grounds. People just make it up as they go along, and then act as though it's gospel.

As an opinion yes, but a factual obstacle, no, and it shouldn't stop people from applying if they do qualify. If they can get over the moral interdiction that is. I'm not judging either. Each to his or her own.

I'll translate that for you if I may...The council decided to offer up a grant to businesses that were already giving them a 'cut' via business rates, given they'd likely get it back again via the same rates at some point.

The only difference with the growth grant is that central govt. gets it back via corporation tax, and not the local council.

LOL.

I'm glad to hear you actually got something though. Makes a change.
                  Wrong again, my potential poor quality con artist You really know nothing, do you ?
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

We are one man bums on seats.
                    Some self awareness, at last.

Comment

Didn't you have to pay Business Rates to be eligible or was that just local to me?

More broadly speaking, although this doesn't sound suitable for a majority of contractors, if you are eligible for a scheme then by all means apply for it. If you tell the truth while applying there is no such thing as a scheme not intended for you if you are eligible for it.

Some on here seem to think we should all be acting like real businesses. Real businesses get money from wherever they can legitimately get it.

Comment

Working...
                      X