• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you walk away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Sounds like a no brainer to me. Keep invoicing and do your own thing. I assume if you're brolly that you're not at risk of IR35 investigation (as you're inside), so use the time for training etc.
    Ask yourself the question, and answer it honestly: how well do you know the executive team?

I think the axe can fall at any minute. I believe It will fall on you sooner rather than later.

As some other contractors, on this forum, here, have said, they managed to secure a second sideline contract that runs concurrently with therefore two incomes. I would do the same if your current gig is becoming the sideline, or perhaps, it already has.

Get a new contract that is remote and treat that as the main one. I would then negotiate this current contract to a Purchase Order ad-hoc one, which works similar to service maintaince of gas boilers with a call out fee.

Protect yourself. Now!
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 22 September 2021, 14:27. Reason: grammar cat

Leave a comment:

• coe123
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Sounds like a no brainer to me. Keep invoicing and do your own thing. I assume if you're brolly that you're not at risk of IR35 investigation (as you're inside), so use the time for training etc.
    Yes, no IR35 concerns and while the next job could be outside with the tax changes I am not sure how much difference there would be.

Good point about the training, did some Cloud certification last year but the work has a habit of breaking a good stride.

Key concern with staying on is the consideration for the next role, little of substance achieved over 2 (and 3 by the time I do need to look) years.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by coe123 View Post
    I was hired to deliver a brand new system in 2018 (PM/Program Mgr), which was completed in late 2019 - most of the team was then let go but I was given an option to stick around to do archive/decommissioning lots of older systems we replaced because I had a hand in setting them up back in the day. I didn't think too much at that time and stayed on (moved to Umbrella at that point) & then with Covid I did not even think about looking for a new role. Now the work has dragged on and while I have had stuff to work on, bigger pieces that I was really keen on are not ready to be switched off yet (good & bad news as it means the work is likely to go on until the end of 2022 but on some days it is just crickets plus it is doing nothing for my resume). There is lot of good stuff going on in the bigger team but there is little chance of me getting involved into it because I am now the only contractor left and retained because of ring fenced funding for this work. This specific part of the business/product has no future and really being wrapped up (hence the decommissioning) - even the wider area of work is just operational and not the most sexiest part of the business.
    Yep IMO you are done. You are coasting which means you are losing skills and being inside, losing money as well.
    On the plus side, the team is great and I am left to my own devices, it is 100% WFH with no talk of going back into office. Rate is above market average but I could get 10% more if I hold out. Early retirement (in 40s) is no more than 4 years away as long as I stay in a contract - portfolio has done wonders in the last 1 year.
    The rate might be above average but you are inside aren't you? So you'll be 35%+ down on an outside gig?
    A friend of mine recently switched and was asked to come to office at least twice a day, which means taking tube to work, something I wouldn't really look forward to.
    You've had it cushy with the 100% remote but it was in response to a pandemic. Many roles will return to the office to some extent so it's something that's going to be more the norm. If you don't want to do that then most definitely stay at your gig. It WILL be required for some roles so can't avoid that.

So... as all these what do I do posts... it's all down to your own personal circumstances that only you can decide. We can give you our opinion on what we would do but can't see how that's much use to you as we don't know the exact details.

That said... from what I see.... Your contract is done, you aren't doing anything proactive and the skills will be slipping. I'd be out of there in a shot because I CBA with the dross after a gig. I want a new one to get my teeth in to. It's what I contract for, not to sit at a desk and while the hours away. BUT you want 100% remote, you only have four years to go and sounds like you are financially stable. I think that would tell you to stay. Your next gig could be a right bitch, end early, worse pay and have a commute. Each of these on it's own would be reason enough to stay but all four together makes a slam dunk choice.

I think you stay where you are until you are pushed and then deal with the crap you don't want to deal with when you've no choice.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied

Leave a comment:

• coe123
    started a topic When do you walk away?

When do you walk away?

Need some collective inputs in deciding whether or not I should look for a new contract.

I was hired to deliver a brand new system in 2018 (PM/Program Mgr), which was completed in late 2019 - most of the team was then let go but I was given an option to stick around to do archive/decommissioning lots of older systems we replaced because I had a hand in setting them up back in the day. I didn't think too much at that time and stayed on (moved to Umbrella at that point) & then with Covid I did not even think about looking for a new role. Now the work has dragged on and while I have had stuff to work on, bigger pieces that I was really keen on are not ready to be switched off yet (good & bad news as it means the work is likely to go on until the end of 2022 but on some days it is just crickets plus it is doing nothing for my resume). There is lot of good stuff going on in the bigger team but there is little chance of me getting involved into it because I am now the only contractor left and retained because of ring fenced funding for this work. This specific part of the business/product has no future and really being wrapped up (hence the decommissioning) - even the wider area of work is just operational and not the most sexiest part of the business.

On the plus side, the team is great and I am left to my own devices, it is 100% WFH with no talk of going back into office. Rate is above market average but I could get 10% more if I hold out. Early retirement (in 40s) is no more than 4 years away as long as I stay in a contract - portfolio has done wonders in the last 1 year.

A friend of mine recently switched and was asked to come to office at least twice a day, which means taking tube to work, something I wouldn't really look forward to.

What would you do? - Ignore how it would look on the resume and stay until pushed (given how easy the life is) or keep looking and take a chance if something better (subjective and unknown) comes up?

Working...
X