• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you walk away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to get itchy feet after a year, definitely after 15 months. I'm currently 18 months in on my current gig, extension on its way for another three months and the PM has forecast me into their plans for Q1 next year.

Like you, the work isn't challenging, the team is good (90% contractors), the rate is good.

BUT! I do have to look the gift horse in the mouth as I know I'm stagnating. There are days where I just about drag myself out of bed in time for the first meeting.

I have always said that if the prospect of the job makes you want to take a duvet day, every day, then it's time to move on.

I will see the year out, and have told the PM that I may not stick around for all of Q1 as I'll be looking for the next gig then.

Comment

It is brave and courageous to have the attitude of I need to move each year or I need to be excited to go to work each day

I’ve always been at companies as long as I could and each time I moved it was because the project finished or the money finished. I was always ok to do not much and get paid but maybe that’s just me!

Comment

Thank you everyone. So clearly two different approaches from people - bill as long as you can vs keep moving/learning.

I do feel that I have already billed for too long and I do get a point about being institutionalised - I am part of the furniture - network more like these days

I sat down and got the resume refreshed, and while I am not going to jump at the next chance - I will if the role and money is right - if nothing comes around then I'll just stick around and keep billing.

Comment

If you are 4 years from retirement, wouldn't it be worth visualising what kind of gig would be to good to end your career on? If there is a barrier to entry in that area, use the time in your current role to get skilled up.
          ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
            If you are 4 years from retirement, wouldn't it be worth visualising what kind of gig would be to good to end your career on? If there is a barrier to entry in that area, use the time in your current role to get skilled up.
            As you know we have only a small degree of control over what role we get next. I spent about 7 years on buy side integration projects - MQ/TIBCO and the likes and everything changed after 2008 when I was forced to leave the field. Since then I tried to get back into that area but either there was/has been oversupply in that area or it is down to sheer luck of finding long term work elsewhere, it has been hard to convince agents, I enjoyed working there and would prefer to work there - but how do you even get back into it if there is no recent experience.

Comment

Working...
            X