• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice from long commuters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice from long commuters

Decent gig but they want someone in the office two days per week.
    1hr 45 mins each way (without traffic) - 97 miles.

I've done gigs in the past about 1hr 15min away and that did my head in. I did one for two years that I caught a train, but was still almost 2 hours door to door every day. Got used to sleeping on the train.

This one, alas, train isnt an option.

I'm guessing two days a week is going to make a huge difference to five? Probably too far to drive though for each of those two days and better to stay over maybe?

Looking for opinions here....

Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

If it is outside IR35 and the two days are consecutive days just stay in a hotel, claim expenses and VAT back from you ltd. Use a cashback website such as topcashback (PM me for a referral link) to earn extra cash from the hotel and join the hotel loyalty programme for free nights. Nett hotel bill is then 50%+ reduced

Comment

How about increasing the rate a little bit to cover accommodation, so that you can stay one day!

I used to travel by train from Brum to Canary Wharf everyday for many years. Journey time easily 2.5 hours one way. But not any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        If it is outside IR35 and the two days are consecutive days just stay in a hotel, claim expenses and VAT back from you ltd. Use a cashback website such as topcashback (PM me for a referral link) to earn extra cash from the hotel and join the hotel loyalty programme for free nights. Nett hotel bill is then 50%+ reduced
        Alas, its Inside.....

Not bothered so much with the cost (its £100+ more per day than I get now), more experiences of whether its doable physically and mentally.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          How about increasing the rate a little bit to cover accommodation, so that you can stay one day!

I used to travel by train from Brum to Canary Wharf everyday for many years. Journey time easily 2.5 hours one way. But not any more.
          Wow 2.5 hours each way!!!!!
          Mate of mine used to do similar. Brum to london. He'd get steaming on the train on the way home too....

Like I said, it used to be almost 2 hours for me by the time I drove to train station, got train, walked from train to customer site. I found the train a LOT less stressful than driving but train was rarely full....

Only thing I found was that it pretty much knackered you're life. Hassle to do things like GP appts, dentist etc because you left early and got home late. My youngest is 8 now so up a bit later but, at the time I'd see her for about 20 mins when I got home.

Of course, with it only being two days, a lot of these issues no longer apply. I managed to wangle one day wfh per fortnight in the last place and even that one day was a life changer....

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

I'd rather decrease the rate and do less on site....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Alas, its Inside.....

Not bothered so much with the cost (its £100+ more per day than I get now), more experiences of whether its doable physically and mentally.
              Because of the niche I work in, 75% of the contracts I work are 90 miles or more from where I live, I have been doing this until lockdown for 15 years and never had a problem with it, starting to miss it actually. My usual way of working (if distance <110 miles) was travel up on Monday, stay in hotel, go back home Tuesday, travel up Wednesday, stay in hotel, travel home on Thursday, WFH on Friday

Comment

Not being rude here but long commutes are difficult and draining. You seem to struggle with almost everything in life so four hours in the car for two day is going to make you proper miserable. You've already said an hour did your head in and you are doubling and that's without the days there will be accidents etc making it even longer and more frustrating. It's just gonna make you miserable and spoil the gig.

If the simple things in life tick you off so much then this kind of commute, even for two days, over a period of many months is not for you.

Stay over or don't do it IMO.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I drove for two years around the M25 - 60 miles each way. Three hours, usually, on the road. Four hours on a bad day. It was fine, once I'd established getting in for 10am, and leaving after 6pm. I had a very comfortable automatic car, so it helped.

However, I'd not do more than that. One hour 45 min without traffic is way too long. I did one contract about that distance away. I stayed overnight in a hotel Monday and Tuesday night, home Wednesday, then hotel overnight Thursday. I did that for 18 months without problem.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    I've never used topcashback. Send me a referral and I'll have a look see.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X