• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

New Contract dilemma - need some urgent advice please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DevUK
    replied
    Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Your age and future career aspirations (and whether there's headroom for promotion in the perm role) would be a deciding factor for me, but on the face of it from what you've said, I'd take the perm option all day long.
    You might be in the wrong thread!?

    OP - you've got caught up with some 'internals' here in terms of the agent/client relationship. Your position is really simple, you've been presented with a contract. For all you know that contract still stands. So I would say expect to begin the contract as normal on the date agreed. However, it does sound a bit shaky. I would expect to start, but prepare for it to go tits up.

    Re correspondence with agent B - I wouldn't be happy with anybody ringing me up to tell me the contract I've just signed is being negotiated again (which is effectively what's happening, as far as you're concerned). Doesn't matter that it's with a different agent the contract is still the same.

    Leave a comment:


  • fiisch
    replied
    Your age and future career aspirations (and whether there's headroom for promotion in the perm role) would be a deciding factor for me, but on the face of it from what you've said, I'd take the perm option all day long.

    Leave a comment:


  • northernladuk
    replied
    I'd get searching again if I were you. Wouldn't be a surprise if this gig went south with this going on.

    Leave a comment:


  • SussexSeagull
    replied
    You have signed a contract. Until you hear otherwise that is what is happening.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Itsalljustagame View Post
    Can I just serve my notice on them (3 weeks) and then start with Agent B if that is the preferred Agent of the client?
    Read the contract you signed!

    My current one has a six month clause in it, contractor staff cant go direct/use another company/agent for six months even after giving notice.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 13 June 2021, 15:31.

    Leave a comment:


  • Itsalljustagame
    replied
    Thanks for comments, it's alas as I thought too.

    I have the client's contact details in an email, is it worth contacting them directly to find out which Agent they actually have the contractual relationship with?

    What recourse will Agent A have with me if I go with Agent B? Can I just serve my notice on them (3 weeks) and then start with Agent B if that is the preferred Agent of the client? Surely if the client does not have a deal with Agent A then they have no work for me regardless of whether there is a signed contract or not?

    Leave a comment:


  • GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Client will get fed up with this hassle, and get next in line via agent B - start looking for another contract

    why on earth did you not wait until a week before contract start date and resign ? (Bet your permie contract has no Penelty for not working notice period)

    Leave a comment:


  • ladymuck
    replied
    The client needs to tell agency A that their services are no longer required, which sounds like that hasn't happened.

    I would try to stick to your guns over rate with agency B, especially if you have paperwork showing that was all agreed.

    Having worked with a client who changed agencies four times in a the 13 months I was with them, I can say that this isn't uncommon.

    Make sure, in the agency B contract, you get any handcuff clause removed as they can't lay claim to an introductory relationship with you as you were already known to the client.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fraidycat
    replied
    At first glance sounds like Agent B is undercutting Agent A to steal the business, both in your rate and most probably the margin the Agent B will take compared to Agent A.

    The client can see they will save a lot if they go with B.

    Whatever you do don't sign another contract with Agent B until this mess is all sorted out.

    Leave a comment:


  • NotAllThere
    replied
    As you'd know if you had been contracting a while:
    Rule 1 - agents lie
    Rule 2 - see rule 1.

    You really can't do anything but let the client sort it out. You cannot renege your contract with A and go with B on B's say so. That'd be silly.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X