• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit of a drama really "two recruiters one job" ew.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a drama really "two recruiters one job" ew.

Found myself in a bit of a situation which I accept is largely my own doing. Bear with me. (bear emoji) Basically, the other week recruiter A mentioned a role with a business to me. I said no the basis of the rates on the tight side vs requirements. They went away with an okay I'll see what I can do. Fast forward to the middle of the following week. Recruiter B comes along, gave me an in-depth description of the role, the company. What I hadn't taken on board at the time is this was the same company that A mentioned to me and I made a massive boo-boo by not taking note of that.

Either way, it's clear that B had way more of a grasp of the company and a relationship with them and I might have not even realized. The proposed rate was again low, so I ask for an up tick and B comes back agreeing to put forward at said rate. B comes back to me and says business can meet my counter-rate.

Day or two later, out of the clear blue I get a very irate call from A (understandably) as they've been made aware by the business that they already have my profile. I profusely apologise and email the company, A and B (CC'd) that I cocked up massively and in light of the circumstances it is best A act as my agent. I even went so far as to suggest withdrawing my application completely and take it on the chin as a hard lesson and move on. As you can imagine, B is ringing, emailing and messaging like mad. I sit on it for a bit.

Later on in the day, I do pick up from B. Be is desperate, so much so he proposes a rate split between the two recruiters which dropped my jaw. I agree with this in principle, and looking to maintain a relationship with A I speak to them and explain the situation and proposal (B emailed A for good measure) despite this A still feels crapped on despite the compromise and they ultimately and rightly don't feel this is a fair outcome. Plus, I've no idea how A and B would go about implementing this type of arrangement. Probably not feasible.

Since I have the end user's HR contact, I email them directly and suggest a call back. We swap notes on our dealings with the recruiters, and to my surprise (and they're fully aware of the whole train crash) her preference is for recruiter B. Even though I've learned through A that B's rates are higher. HR is seriously not impressed with A.

So it looks like I may once again have to fall on my sword and take a flying crap on A (this time I suppose it would be intentionally rather than unintentionally) and I dread to do this as I have known A for a few years now and they've been excellent to work with. My last role was sourced through them, too. It's a sh1tty place to be and I hate to be that person. B have clearly got their pins lined up correctly, know the role, yes they got there second but as A and B have explained to me, it's ultimately my turn to bowl.

Any thoughts? Or just tell me I deserve a good slapping. Because I do.

Hopefully I'll flunk the interview. Sadly I smashed the technical test with flying colours.
    Last edited by ApeShape; 21 May 2021, 22:15.

Yes, you screwed up, but you shouldn't over-think this. An apology is warranted, but you need to keep your own business at the forefront of your mind and not worry too much about agents because they won't be worrying too much about you.

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
      Day or two later, out of the clear blue I get a very irate call from A (understandably) as they've been made aware by the business that they already have my profile. I profusely apologise and email the company, A and B (CC'd) that I cocked up massively and in light of the circumstances it is best A act as my agent. I even went so far as to suggest withdrawing my application completely and take it on the chin as a hard lesson and move on. As you can imagine, B is ringing, emailing and messaging like mad. I sit on it for a bit.
      That email taking sides was a mistake.

The fairest way would have been to ask the client, which of the two agents sent them the CV first? There will be an audit trail, time stamp on the email etc.

Comment

Classic story and is usually the way it goes when two recruiters are involved. We get a lot of questions about should someone go with the second company after already applying via the first and we always so no else it will end in a tulip storm. Well most of us do anyway. A couple of people think it's accepable to play the two off and nothing will come of it. PC suggested it once for example... but it rarely works out well. This is generally the expected outcome.

I've been there and it ended with me sitting in the clients carpark waiting to go in for an interview while the agents fought and eventually the client didn't want anything to do with any of us so I got sent home. In my defense one agent was advertising for a financial client in Chesire, the other was for a banking client in Manchester. Ended up being Barclays in Radbroke. Still now I've learnt I make sure I spend a lot more time making sure who the client is and avoiding this situation.

Just one of the lessons of contracting I am afraid. Silly move but you can generally only learn these things in hindsight.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 21 May 2021, 23:34.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah, same old crap. Recruiters are too vague about the client they are representing of fear of someone else stealing them.

So they overwhelm you with usual BS about how nice the client is and how well they are doing and just how nice it is to work for them... the usual sales pitch. Nothing to blame, they are just doing their job. They just make it up usually based on how gullible you sound.

Blame is not on your side. Just move on with the interview if they are interested, otherwise do not respond to any message apart from lightly worded apology for not figuring out who was the client with both agents. Which I am sure they were trying to conceal.

Have a good one,

Gigi

Comment

Happened to me once as a contractor. The losing agent tried to sue the client. I had a nice chat with the client's lawyer and confirmed his thoughts, that the agency didn't have a leg to stand on.

A few years later, I was a hiring manager, and got a call from that agency to see if they could place anyone. I explained I don't deal with agencies that sue their clients. I suggested he run my name by his boss.

Ultimately it is for the client to decide which agency to use. Or to use you at all. The losing agent will sell their elderly relatives to place you. They won't blacklist you and if they have a role that you fit, they'll forgive and forget everything at the chance of making money. All A is trying to do is apply pressure so they don't lose the contract. They don't really mean it.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

1. You've still got a job offer on the table, which is great as often that ends badly for the contractor
              2. You've got a steer from the client as to their preference
              3. You're overthinking the whole agency loyalty thing. You've 'fessed up, apologised, now move on and start work!

Comment

Be exactly as loyal to the agency as they would be to you. I.e. "not at all".
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not many agencies will ever upset a client over this. In reality a few might make some noise but when it comes down to it most will just move onto the next role as its not worth getting thrown off the PSL for the % they get from placing you!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Not many agencies will ever upset a client over this. In reality a few might make some noise but when it comes down to it most will just move onto the next role as its not worth getting thrown off the PSL for the % they get from placing you!
                    But equally - neither agency is going to back down when the end result is this candidate is out of the game and you get a second chance to place someone else.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X