• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has brexit negatively impacted anyone else in terms of gigs ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has brexit negatively impacted anyone else in terms of gigs ?

Has brexit cost anyone else work since January

I do a lot of work on a niche CMS and I have done loads of work across the EU over the last ten years due to their not being a huge amount of resource available with these skills

Three gigs fell through this year already due to work permits and the hassle around getting them, even with remote working at first and the fact no work permit is needed

Looks like a lot of the EU countries are putting up the shutters to UK contractors now which is a shame as I used to enjoy working across Europe

Loan charge, IR35, brexit, forgotten ltd etc etc it hasnt been the best 12 months for contractors has it

Bit hard to judge when there is a global pandemic going on and IR35 hitting us. To pin in it directly on brexit alone is pretty difficult.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Bit hard to judge when there is a global pandemic going on and IR35 hitting us. To pin in it directly on brexit alone is pretty difficult.
      Not really when the clients are saying "we do not wish to go ahead as we would need to get work permits"

Comment

I've missed out on a nice contact in Zurich due to my British passport. From Jan 1, GB citizens no longer have the same rights in Switzerland as EU citizens and require a work permit. The company was not willing to be a sponsor for freelancer. Residing in EU, 60km across the border, and having EU residence permit makes no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by PM_contract View Post
          I've missed out on a nice contact in Zurich due to my British passport. From Jan 1, GB citizens no longer have the same rights in Switzerland as EU citizens and require a work permit. The company was not willing to be a sponsor for freelancer. Residing in EU, 60km across the border, and having EU residence permit makes no difference.
          May I ask you for some numbers on the contractor role in Zurich all in? I am in Switzerland at the moment and perm wanting to try contracting again

1000 CHF a day all in is not much after employer / employee tax and is similar to 130K CHF from what I have seem - You need 1500 CHF a day to get close to a 180K CHF package apparently

Is that your experience and what rates were paid or ofefered ?

Comment

IR35 and Covid removed all my work. I always had plenty in the UK before that, last gigs were for a US company. I don't think Brexit was involved.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

May I ask you for some numbers on the contractor role in Zurich all in? I am in Switzerland at the moment and perm wanting to try contracting again

1000 CHF a day all in is not much after employer / employee tax and is similar to 130K CHF from what I have seem - You need 1500 CHF a day to get close to a 180K CHF package apparently

Is that your experience and what rates were paid or ofefered ?
              From my experience, 1350 is the ok day rate for longer term and 1550 is ok for shorter term assignments. But, as many offices are closed due to Covid19, there is a downward pressure from wfh east Europeans. I am aware of one Poland based ex Deloitte consultant signing up at 850 a day and being very happy.

Comment

I've found plenty of work in Government over the last few years, after working solely in the private sector. I have had more enquiries from companies in the USA for fixed price work which has no doubt been because of COVID-19. Brexit hasn't been an issue so far thankfully
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by PM_contract View Post

From my experience, 1350 is the ok day rate for longer term and 1550 is ok for shorter term assignments. But, as many offices are closed due to Covid19, there is a downward pressure from wfh east Europeans. I am aware of one Poland based ex Deloitte consultant signing up at 850 a day and being very happy.
                  Thanks and useful to know - Just be aware that getting a B permit is now impossible for UK citizens - Its like applying from russia or ukraine so you are at the back of the queue

Comment

Working...
                  X