• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You thought IR35 was bad.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    careful what you wish for

There are plenty that do. Hays, RSG, Capita, Morsons, as examples of the top of my head. They are large enough to run a HR/payroll department. Small agencies want to focus on being oily salesmen.

What makes you think if the agency did your payroll they wouldn't take an extra cut? Of course they would cos you'd allow them as your alternative would be to find an umbrella who will take a cut.
    But the difference is this:

Agency payroll with £40k going via salary sacrifice to your pension and the agency can pocket the employer NI savings for themselves. And 11% of £40k is £4400

Umbrella with £40k going via salary sacrifice to your pension that employer NI money is yours and should be heading towards your pension fund. So all you are paying is the umbrella fee of say £100 a month
    Last edited by eek; 4 March 2021, 20:47.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

Surely if that were the case then all the Banks would have also banned the use of Umbrellas instead of advocating them? The Banks were the ones that got the blanket 'everybody now inside' ball rolling and employ more contractors than anybody else in the private sector. They would have most to lose wouldn't they?

Cue email in next few days saying I need to abandon my Umbrella.
      I'm merely reporting what I heard - whether it's due to misinterpretation isn't something I'm going to speculate on although I will be attending HMRC's seminar tomorrow to hear exactly what is being said.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I'm merely reporting what I heard - whether it's due to misinterpretation isn't something I'm going to speculate on although I will be attending HMRC's seminar tomorrow to hear exactly what is being said.
        Do you have a link or is that by invitation only?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Do you have a link or is that by invitation only?
          https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/opw-w...=eemailordconf

I think there are still tickets for the one next Wednesday

Comment

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/opw-w...=eemailordconf

I think there are still tickets for the one next Wednesday
            Thanks! I actually managed to squeeze in for the one tomorrow.

Comment

And boy was that painful.

An SDS can be issued at any time prior to first payment - do HMRC know how the world actually works and what a legal contract is and that an inside IR35 contract may need a different signature / party to an outside IR35 contract.

And an agency suggesting using the opt out of regulation rules to reduce (their) risk.
              Last edited by eek; 5 March 2021, 14:31.

Comment

An SDS can be issued at any time prior to first payment - do HMRC know how the world actually works and what a legal contract is and that an inside IR35 contract may need a different signature / party to an outside IR35 contract.

And an agency suggesting using the opt out of regulation rules to reduce (their) risk.
                Because they believe we are all disguised permies who should be inside that option has occurred to them.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Because they believe we are all disguised permies who should be inside that option has occurred to them.
                  Because HMRC haven't got the first clue of how the real world actually works and how their deemed payment scheme completely falls apart.

It was beyond painful and be careful I might ring and rant - it was that bad...

Comment

Given the state of permanent jobs not being permanent any more, a 12-month contract via PAYE on £600 per day is still far better than a permie job on £60k pa if you want to keep doing the gig thing. Times are hard for everyone and grumbling about having to pay "normal tax" on a £120k pa gig isn't going to get you many hugs.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

that says to me that nobody should start work until they've received the SDS.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X