• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consequences of being submitted to a client by two agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by silent bob View Post
    Preferred supplier agency got in touch about a role.
    In 9 out of 10 cases they lie about the fact that they are preferred supplier. Ask for proof if they claim that.

I've been double submitted a couple of times and that's always because one (or more) of the agencies refused to give the end client's name.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Don'r F... with ex-contractors. They are quick to anger and not very subtle
    I've noticed.

Every time an agency has tried to be tulipty, if there is an ex-contractor involved in hiring me for the role they have back tracked....

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It happened to me as a hiring manager. I took that one that got to me first. The second agency threatened the candidate with legal action. So I called them. And told the agenty they'd just got themselves on my "do not do business with" list.

"Anything I can do to prevent that?" said the agent
    "No". said I. And hung up.

I didn't take the candidate. He was crap.

(Don'r F... with ex-contractors. They are quick to anger and not very subtle).
    Not too worried about legal action, I don't have a contract with either agency

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It happened to me as a hiring manager. I took that one that got to me first. The second agency threatened the candidate with legal action. So I called them. And told the agenty they'd just got themselves on my "do not do business with" list.

"Anything I can do to prevent that?" said the agent
    "No". said I. And hung up.

I didn't take the candidate. He was crap.

(Don'r F... with ex-contractors. They are quick to anger and not very subtle).

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Back in 2001 this happened to me.

One of the agents phoned me up and then dictated over the phone an email that i should write.

Something along the lines of 'Only agency X is acting as my agent for role Y at client Z. No other agent is allowed to act on my behalf'

I was benched at the time and desperate, as the contract market around here had gone belly up, so i did what she said.

Nothing came of that role, never even got an interview.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Happened to me a few years ago.

I ended up with the role because the first agency gave me an incorrect location, incorrect industry sector, incorrect role description and one of the client's managers responsible for recruitment was a former contractor.

I only found out when after I was on-site from the client manager that they had my CV from the first agency.

Leave a comment:

• silent bob
    replied
    Happened to me last year. Preferred supplier agency got in touch about a role. Didn't hear anything for over a month. Then a new agency calls with a newly released role for same company. So just thought new role, yeah go for it. Turns out it was same role but had just been delayed slightly.
    Then a contractor mate of mine, said he knew the hiring manager. Hiring manager was waiting for my CV, had an interview lined up and everything. But my cv never arrived from preferred supplier. Think they were hacked off with me using other agency as well.
    Needless to say, no cv, no interview, no role. I'd been the the bench for a few months as well.
    So be careful.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    In some cases, the agent can see if your CV has actually been submitted on the client portal. Sometimes agents like to 'reduce the noise' by stopping other close candidates from getting submitted. So you think you've been submitted but haven't at all.

edit: of course, that could have been a cock and bull story just to get my CV submitted I had no view of any of this but would seem pretty stupid by an agent to pull a move like this.
    Last edited by Antman; 3 February 2021, 15:38.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yep it happens. Difficult to know what to do now though. Wait to see what pans out as one or the other might not have submitted you, chose one and contact the other to withdraw etc

No idea which would be best at this point sorry.
    I think I will just leave it be. I am happy where I am at the moment, just casually looking around really testing what kind of rate I could get in current market

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Tbh I just didn't realise it was the same client because the other agency was in touch over a week ago (a lot has happened since then!) and I have forgotten by now the name of the client. So when the new agency came along I just said sure go ahead
    Yep it happens. Difficult to know what to do now though. Wait to see what pans out as one or the other might not have submitted you, chose one and contact the other to withdraw etc

No idea which would be best at this point sorry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X