• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting response from recruiter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting response from recruiter

I'm in a role currently so I did this just to enquire about rates for a role which looked a good fit, & came to me via JS email.

Rather than apply via JS I found the recruiter's email & asked him if the role was inside IR35, and what the expected rates were. He came back saying it was inside, & that he'd received >100 applications, but could I send my CV and my 'best rate' for 'inside roles'. I didn't respond.

But it made me wonder, are we now (as 'contractors') expected to enter a bidding war with agents for these inside IR35 scrapings, with the lowest bidder securing the slots?
    Clarity is everything

In any case it's normal for a contractor to quote a rate, but in a seller's market an agency will often offer a good rate to get contractors in short supply. You always need to be prepared to know what rate you want. I've almost always been asked to quote a rate. Only once in good times did the agency suggest he could get a better rate than the one I asked for and on another occasion the client offered a non-negotiable rate on a fixed margin.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 January 2021, 13:55.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      In any case it's normal for a contractor to quote a rate, but in a seller's market an agency will often offer a good rate to get contractors in short supply. You always need to be prepared to know what rate you want. I've almost always been asked to quote a rate. Only once in good times did the agency suggest he could get a better rate than the one I asked for and on another occasion the client offered a non-negotiable rate on a fixed margin.
      To my mind he should have advised that the role was Inside, & included rate parameters, in the advert.
      He clearly chose not to do this. I put it down to a CV fishing expedition, so it (& him) got up my nose somewhat.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

You should have strung him along a bit. Get up his nose.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

100 applicants is not a lot. Especially right now where people will be applying to everything. Probably like 5% of people who apply are actually qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            100 applicants is not a lot. Especially right now where people will be applying to everything. Probably like 5% of people who apply are actually qualified.
            It was > (more than) 100 applicants according to the recruiter, and I got a notification of the role pretty sharpish via RSS feed. Guess loads of applicants were up & about before me so got their applications in before I'd even found the guy's email address. I think what got me was his email response, 'all I need is your CV...over to you'.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              I'm in a role currently so I did this just to enquire about rates for a role which looked a good fit, & came to me via JS email.

Rather than apply via JS I found the recruiter's email & asked him if the role was inside IR35, and what the expected rates were. He came back saying it was inside, & that he'd received >100 applications, but could I send my CV and my 'best rate' for 'inside roles'. I didn't respond.

But it made me wonder, are we now (as 'contractors') expected to enter a bidding war with agents for these inside IR35 scrapings, with the lowest bidder securing the slots?

I always thought of it as in in the boom times the clients set the rates, how much are they prepared to pay. Given the shortage of contractors, if they price too low they wont find anyone decent.

During the bust times, its contractors who set the rate, given the shortage of work, it often comes down to who will work for the least amount
              Last edited by Fraidycat; 1 February 2021, 09:54.

Comment

Most don't even bother to reply unless they want to put you forward.
                He's got over a hundred applications, but managed to squeeze in a response to you asking for CV.
                I smell a rat.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                  Most don't even bother to reply unless they want to put you forward.
                  He's got over a hundred applications, but managed to squeeze in a response to you asking for CV.
                  I smell a rat.
                  For certain niche roles they can still receive over 500 applications and not have the right candidate

Comment

I’m not convinced these days that blindly responding to vacancies is worth it.

All my contract roles have come from knowing agents and/or from prior contacts via LinkedIn.

The more agency competition you have the more likely your valid experience can be drowned out by blag.

Comment

Working...
                    X