• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HSBC inside IR35 contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Im actually worth way more than that to my current client.

I just saw them waste £1million+ on 6 unproductive contractors over the last 18 months.

I have produced 10 times more work for the client than those 6 other contractors combined.

Not surprisingly they were all shown the door, while im still getting extensions.
    If you really are the 60x developer you think you are then you would have walked for a much higher rate.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    My experience with resource solutions is that they were useless.

I'll echo the previous comments - you may be resigned to not working over Christmas week but I have seen contractors forced to take three or four weeks off over Christmas so think about that.

Leave a comment:

• Cupid Stunt
    replied
    Originally posted by BrandNewOne View Post

Thanks a bunch. Got the contract...only for 6 months. So whatevs. Let's see how it goes. Not sure if it will go longer than 6 months. I was told it might be 2 years in all. Let's see.
    What happened with your 6 month contract? Did they extend it?

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied
    check contract

not all the inside ir35 contracts are the same at HSBC - e.g. some had a fixed number of days in them that you could charge during the contract, others not.
    one big thing is notice period if you're inside IR35 - I was there a while back and several departments work was moved to HK - I was lucky in that I was paid 4 weeks notice, whereas others (that where inside ir35!) - got 0 notice. Deffo make sure you have a notice period if your inside ir35, especially with the big banks.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Some of the projects I have worked on went on to earn millions for the end client but not sure that makes me worth a million pounds!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I just saw them waste £1million+ on 6 unproductive contractors over the last 18 months.

I have produced 10 times more work for the client than those 6 other contractors combined.

Not surprisingly they were all shown the door, while im still getting extensions.
    You forgot to start your post with 'Once upon a time'.......

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Says the idiot that thinks he's worth 2k a day.

"In software the difference between what the average and the best [programmers] is 50 to 1 maybe even 100 to 1"
    - Steve Jobs

Last edited by Fraidycat; 30 January 2021, 05:58.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I don't really take much notice of end dates anymore. Might just be me but clients either run out of money or extend you.
    Or take dislike to you.

Short contracts extend, long contracts get cut short. The only certainty you have is the day you've just worked, really. (and even then...)

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Normally clients have a rough idea of how long the initial work is.

And also a client should try and keep a contractor on his toes, too many are freeloading slackers.

Many contractors think they worth the money just for their skills and experience alone, but don't actually want to do any hard work that actually uses those skills in the contract itself.
    I was at a client once, and the 6 hours of work I did a week equated to more output than an entire department of people to a week, sometimes you're just a winner winner chicken dinner.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Normally clients have a rough idea of how long the initial work is.

And also a client should try and keep a contractor on his toes, too many are freeloading slackers.

Many contractors think they worth the money just for their skills and experience alone, but don't actually want to do any hard work that actually uses those skills in the contract itself.
    Says the idiot that thinks he's worth 2k a day.

Personally i provide so much value and productivity compared to other contractors. I would be good value even at £2000 a day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X