• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running back to permie land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running back to permie land

Hello, I’m approaching 2 years in contracting with the same company..what with the Covid situation and IR35 looming I am running back to permie world from Feb but hopefully a strategic move up on paper ..moving from Junior Project manager to Global Portfolio Manager. But yes a pay cut in terms of cash in my hand but swings and roundabouts with holidays, insurance and pension contributions.

I’m in retail and the company I work for terminated 90% of contractors in April. I tried and failed to move sectors. Very hard with no contacts and all the roles stating you must have that sector experience.

I was kept on and have kept my head down billing all year.

Contracting more than doubled my old permie salary over night but I went in as a junior so am on a low rate and not enjoying the big numbers the majority of you do. I am on £300 PD and My perm offer is 60K with all the perks that come with that.

I have no idea what the future holds for me. I think if I had a taste of the big contractor bucks I’d be more inclined to keep trying but I didn’t and permie world seems more appealing for me at the moment. I’ve gone from PMO to Global portfolio Manager in 2 years so progression can be quick!

I will keep my company dormant and may well return.

I rarely posted but when I did got useful advice and spent many hours trawling the threads when I made the jump so thanks everyone and so long ?

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
    Hello, I’m approaching 2 years in contracting with the same company..what with the Covid situation and IR35 looming I am running back to permie world from Feb but hopefully a strategic move up on paper ..moving from Junior Project manager to Global Portfolio Manager. But yes a pay cut in terms of cash in my hand but swings and roundabouts with holidays, insurance and pension contributions.

I’m in retail and the company I work for terminated 90% of contractors in April. I tried and failed to move sectors. Very hard with no contacts and all the roles stating you must have that sector experience.

I was kept on and have kept my head down billing all year.

Contracting more than doubled my old permie salary over night but I went in as a junior so am on a low rate and not enjoying the big numbers the majority of you do. I am on £300 PD and My perm offer is 60K with all the perks that come with that.

I have no idea what the future holds for me. I think if I had a taste of the big contractor bucks I’d be more inclined to keep trying but I didn’t and permie world seems more appealing for me at the moment. I’ve gone from PMO to Global portfolio Manager in 2 years so progression can be quick!

I will keep my company dormant and may well return.

I rarely posted but when I did got useful advice and spent many hours trawling the threads when I made the jump so thanks everyone and so long ������
    £60k when you are on £300 a day - take the job - if / when it is inside IR35 you would see very little difference in your take home pay.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I will make my company dormant and may well return.
      FTFY
      Dormancy is a specific scenario.

What you should do with the company depends on many factors. If you don't have much retained profit then take dividends and close it down. If it's not closed with a capital distribution then the 2 year limit for starting again is not relevant.

Good luck.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Junior Project manager to Global Portfolio Manager
        Can't see that working well....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

300pd to 60k is a good jump lots of contractors were forced to go into 60k perm salaries who were 500-600pd but 60k perm is very very good for 300pd.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It's crazy how many people throughout history have accomplished just astronomical things way harder than anything we do on a daily basis and they did it when they were 15, 20, 25, 30 years old and with very few years of experience behind them. It's crazy how we put young people in this box and treat them like babies. This type of discrimination doesn't get enough attention and it's holding back society.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              It's crazy how many people throughout history have accomplished just astronomical things way harder than anything we do on a daily basis and they did it when they were 15, 20, 25, 30 years old and with very few years of experience behind them. It's crazy how we put young people in this box and treat them like babies. This type of discrimination doesn't get enough attention and it's holding back society.
              Problem is that for each Prodigy there are at least 1000 Dunces.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                Problem is that for each Prodigy there are at least 1000 Dunces.
                Yes but if they're a dunce at 25 years old they probably will be at 40 that extra 15 years experience won't change that.

If someone interviews for a senior role at 25 years old and beats out the 40+ year olds then maybe that is enough to tell us that they are probably competent.

Seniority and experience do sometimes matter but lots of time it is just a giant pyramid scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I can appreciate that jumps sounds a bit dramatic but didn’t want to bore you with my whole career background. I have 10 years finance experience and led a large department before switching to project management.

Junior role- I was doing exact same type of work as the normal PM’s just cheaper basically. More fool me I know but as I said before it was double the income I had before and a newbie contractor so I didn’t mind..I was all lined up to be given the title I was working at after 12 months and a rate increase for my next renewal then BAM lockdown. I wasn’t about to go arguing about rate then I was thankful to have any income.

I work closely with the people who hired me as perm so they clearly liked what they saw.

Oh and I’m mid 30’s just did a mid career switch so was a bit behind but catching up now ?

Comment

Junior role- I was doing exact same type of work as the normal PM’s just cheaper basically.
                    That's what every junior PM thinks... but it's rarely true.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X