• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm offer(s) - take the first one available, or stall for as long as possible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjcp
    replied
    If 1 and 2 both offer, take the one you prefer / want.

If 3 comes along in a month, give notice* and take 3. (if that's what you want to do)

* notice is pretty much irrelevant; be polite and say "I'll be off end of next week, this isn't working etc etc". They can sue you (at their own costs, even if they win) for *ONLY* the difference between you and a temp and only for a "reasonable" period while they replace you. i.e. probably not worth the bother!

M

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    My work attitude has always been that life is too short to do something you don't like. I wouldn't go with #1 if I had that level of misgivings about it. I probably wouldn't have applied for it in the first place.

Yes, fully appreciate that times are tough, but I still don't think that means you need to make life even more miserable by taking on a crappy job.
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    A lot depends on how big a warchest you have.

The smaller it is and the more appealing option 1 becomes.
    As Ladymuck says, if it was that unappealing in the first place maybe swerve number 1 but it depends on how confident you are of finding something soon and your financial situation.

I turned down a decent day rate contract back in 2014 as a) it sounded really dull and b) I had three final interviews lined up for perm roles where I was down to the last two and I was very confident of getting at least one offer. Turned out I lost out on all three perm roles after I had declined the contract. Was a schoolboy error, I should have taken the contract role and jacked it it if/when I got the perm role. That cost me around £35k in lost income till I found another contract.

I've recruited lots of permies over the last few months and had one person resign on the first day and another who resigned after less than two weeks. No-one can really predict what is going to happen the next 6 months with Covid, Brexit and IR35 but most likely the market will be chaotic and have limited opportunities so maybe take the safest option?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Depends on what dodgy industry 1 is in.

However I would stall until you see if you can get an offer from 2.

Then take 2 then take 1.

Forget Amazon. Incidentally because of their drive to recruit more females I have come up in their crosshairs 3 times in the last 5 years and every single time I make it clear I'm not interested.
    So if the OP was to identify as female they could tick two woke boxes with one hire....

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    A lot depends on how big a warchest you have.

The smaller it is and the more appealing option 1 becomes.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    My work attitude has always been that life is too short to do something you don't like. I wouldn't go with #1 if I had that level of misgivings about it. I probably wouldn't have applied for it in the first place.

Yes, fully appreciate that times are tough, but I still don't think that means you need to make life even more miserable by taking on a crappy job.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    In the market we are at right now, if you delay and stall on a contract/offer, you are in danger of missing all the trains and end up benching for the next 6 months. It will soon be Christmas time, Dec - Jan would be dead recruitment wise, if you arent sorted by then, you are looking at any income coming in around March next year.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    I'd go all out for #2, #1 is only going to pi55 you off, and while we all hide companies in industries we're not interested in doing again, current situ could persist for a while , in which case you might have #1 on your resume for an ahem "unhideable" period of time.

Amazon all over the place, different direction every month from what I head, big plans, many chief's, sounds like chaos, + they apparently treat some of their lower skilled workers like bots, not something I'd like to facilitate or perhaps collaborate in.

if it all goes pete tong, do 1, leave as soon as 2 comes online

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    If I was boss at No1 I would tell you to do one

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Don't let the first offer expire, take it before it disappears. You might not get an offer out of the other 2. I've turned down an offer when I thought I had another offer lined up just to have the second one disappear.. of course in a normal market that just means another 2 weeks off so not a big deal. The first company is small anyway if you accept and turn it down before start date or leave in your first couple weeks no one will know about it. Might be a little unethical but as already said it's about survival right now.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Not sure about Amazon, it isn't Google, sounds like it would simply be system management, being on call 24 hours a day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X