• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your Best Rate And Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fool
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
    1500 day?? Wow that is something indeed

Can you confirm industry and sort of work and years of experience

I always thought those figures were reserved for Lab49 / Accenture
    That's kinda the point; you can hire accenture that'll send you a bunch of university students to prattle off terms and patterns they don't fully understand only to hit the orgs governance process and turn "simple" into unachievable.

I work in and around DevOps / DevSecOps. It was an InfoSec dept. for a retail org right after a breach.

Year before I worked, via a consultancy, for a bank on £1300.

Almost maintained £1500 via an insurance company where I met the CTO, CDO and CISO together, but the CFO blocked the contract due to brexit, so ended up somewhere else on a measly £1k.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    True,
    I was just pointing out that "saving over £250k" wouldn't be an affordable way to live.
    Not with a take home pay < 125k p.a.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    You need to take tax off 143,750 p.a., not £18,750 p.a.

Or just accept that LondonPM1 is another low-grade cretin.
    True,
    I was just pointing out that "saving over £250k" wouldn't be an affordable way to live.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    1 year <> 230 days. Your assumption.

But even then: 230*625*2 = 287,500, then you said they should have saved over 250k.
    Let's examine the figures:
    That would mean in 2 years taking out less than £37,500 before deductions. That's £18,750 per annum before deductions. Take Tax & NI (both sides) off that, and what are you left with?
    Is it enough to live, pay for food, fuel, council tax, mortgage/rent, etc?
    You need to take tax off 143,750 p.a., not £18,750 p.a.

Or just accept that LondonPM1 is another low-grade cretin.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Maybe you can help explain that - The OP said they worked for 2 years which means 230 days a year at 625 a day

If those assumptions are right then thats means 290 K before tax.

What am i missing
    1 year <> 230 days. Your assumption.

But even then: 230*625*2 = 287,500, then you said they should have saved over 250k.
    Let's examine the figures:
    That would mean in 2 years taking out less than £37,500 before deductions. That's £18,750 per annum before deductions. Take Tax & NI (both sides) off that, and what are you left with?
    Is it enough to live, pay for food, fuel, council tax, mortgage/rent, etc?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Maybe you can help explain that - The OP said they worked for 2 years which means 230 days a year at 625 a day

What am i missing
    That's a pretty big question to be landing at this time on a sunny day.

Leave a comment:

• LondonPM1
    replied
    Please stop making claims about how much people may have saved etc based on your erroneous calculations about days, etc.

What am i missing

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    625 for two years means you must have saved 250K pplus if you were careful right?

Please stop making claims about how much people may have saved etc based on your erroneous calculations about days, etc.

Leave a comment:

• LondonPM1
    replied
    Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
    Not the highest, but best rate was £625 per day, 2011-2013 working in Denmark for a consultancy. Exchange rates were good, I lived in a serviced apartment with 2 other cool guys, expensed everything to the consultancy except flights home, and worked compressed hours (5 days hours compressed into 3).

When I finished, I used the money a year later to buy a 5 bedroom family home with 0.5 hectares of land in cash in the EU.

If you are selling your fingers and toes for money (to paraphrase Derrick Jensen @ "Endgame" series), ensure the payment terms are satisfactory: those years will never be replaced.
    Must have been Nordea

625 for two years means you must have saved 250K pplus if you were careful right?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I love the contrast between this thread (the then) and the State of the Market thread (the now).

Then - Oh back then, I was earning £2000/hr and travelled to the office in a chauffeur driven Bentley...
    Now - I've been offered £150/day for a 60 hour working week, gonna have to take it, otherwise I will be licking mould off the walls for food...
    That's OK for a 40 day week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X