• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone worked as a collection-delivery driver ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone worked as a collection-delivery driver ?

Hullo

I've been looking at job ads from companies such as BCA Auctions and IT Fleet Automotive for drivers of cars and vans moving them from A to B around the UK.

The jobs and companies take a massive panning in the reviews on Indeed, but I've been unemployed for over six months now and getting desperate, so might consider doing this for 6 months just to get something recent on the CV.

I presume this would be sole-trader status since the money is apparently so bad. Can anyone advise what sort of start up costs I would have in that case? Would I need a separate business bank account?

Any other experience / opinions / advice gratefully recieved, thanks.

If you're going to be a sole trader then you can just use a personal bank account, no need for a business one. I would keep a separate account, so that personal and work expenses are kept apart. It'll make accounting on your SATR for allowable expenses easier.

No idea what your start up costs would be. I presume if you're just moving cars about then you'd need business car insurance, not personal. Maybe a public liability insurance too. Depending on what vehicles you're driving you may need to check your license has the right categories on it.

Comment

Can you not tell from the advert whether it's self employed or employed? Does it quote a rate per hour/day or pay per annum?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        Hullo

I've been looking at job ads from companies such as BCA Auctions and IT Fleet Automotive for drivers of cars and vans moving them from A to B around the UK.

The jobs and companies take a massive panning in the reviews on Indeed, but I've been unemployed for over six months now and getting desperate, so might consider doing this for 6 months just to get something recent on the CV.

I presume this would be sole-trader status since the money is apparently so bad. Can anyone advise what sort of start up costs I would have in that case? Would I need a separate business bank account?

Been claiming JSA?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Hullo

I know a guy who does this.
          All you'll need is a clean driving license and enough cash to get you train/bus fares.
          Pay is tulip but you get to see a lot of the country and drive some nice cars occasionally.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I wish I'd have thought of this during my bench time. Just for something to do rather than the money. I just say there thinking I'll get a gig this week. 5 months later still no gig.
            Lesson learned for next time fo sho.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I wish I'd have thought of this during my bench time. Just for something to do rather than the money. I just say there thinking I'll get a gig this week. 5 months later still no gig.
              Lesson learned for next time fo sho.
              I thought you had a gig at the moment? Didn't know you were benched
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I thought you had a gig at the moment? Didn't know you were benched
                Sorry, yes I do now. Started in Feb. I meant the period I was off up to getting a gig.

I'd urge anyone on the bench or just about to hit the bench to think about this type of thing right off the bat rather than wait expecting to land a gig that week.

Comment

Hullo

Delivering vehicles seems a decent little number until you really investigate it. As the driver, you are responsible for the condition of the vehicle from pick up to delivery. You have to go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and note every little scratch, chip and dent and at both ends of the journey.

Doing that takes time you dont really have as the vehicle needs to be at the delivery point by x time. Once you've dropped the vehicle off and done the hand over making sure you get a good rating, you then have to get home.

These companies say you can use their network of drivers to get you home but if they're all out on jobs, how does that work? And if the drop off is in the middle of nowhere, enjoy trying to get a bus or train.

Good luck.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'd urge anyone on the bench or just about to hit the bench to think about this type of thing right off the bat rather than wait expecting to land a gig that week.
                    Agreed, even moreso now - I've seen evidence of companies just stopping any recruitment (perm or contract) whilst they put contingency planning in place to mitigate the impact of the spread of coronavirus to the majority of the population (which seems inevitable now).

I'm hearing one of the big banks has today put plans in place today to split critical team across sites and to ask everyone else to work from home, where possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X