• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced To Take Time Off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    With that poor level of understanding of what you do you should have been inside all along.
    Couldn't agree more.

Comes here, asks one of the most stupid questions I've ever read on this forum, then replies with arrogance too.

I could MAYBE understand this ignorance from a newbie at the start of his contracting career, but not from a seasoned contractor.

Typical permietractor with zero knowledge of what contracting is all about.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Has happened every contract I've ever had. In fact, this'll be my first one where it's one week and not two.

Very good for your IR35 status, if not your bank account. You don't have mutual obligation - they're not obliged to give you work, and you're not obliged to take it if offered (within reason ). A permanent member of staff would reasonably expect to have work found for them and have to take it.

My challenge is going to be finding things to do in the week they have graciously let me work (minus New Years day of course)

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    Me also "Don't come in next week there's nothing to do"

iirc one IR35 case was won in part by a day there was some kind of fire alarm and the contractor was sent home (unpaid).

Can't see it hurting.

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    winging
    I'm going "whingeing"

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Nah, points to the OP being a lucky bugger and having contracts checked but never encountered a furlough.
    Not my proble, though, my Christmas break is paid.
    I'm also subject to my first ever furlough in 20 years but was aware of the term and its consequence.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
    Really?!! Any time a client treats you differently to a permanent member of staff this can only help your case to prove you are outside IR35. To ask if it was a marker to inside all along is amazing after 20 years of IR35 applying and the OP contracting all that time. It points to head in the sand, finger crossed, get out with the cash and get lucky.

Still, the OP is going to retire and go fishing, good on them.
    Nah, points to the OP being a lucky bugger and having contracts checked but never encountered a furlough.
    Not my proble, though, my Christmas break is paid.

Leave a comment:

• LetterBox
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Bit harsh if the OP has never been handed a furlough before, especially if the client aren't calling it a furlough either.
    Really?!! Any time a client treats you differently to a permanent member of staff this can only help your case to prove you are outside IR35. To ask if it was a marker to inside all along is amazing after 20 years of IR35 applying and the OP contracting all that time. It points to head in the sand, finger crossed, get out with the cash and get lucky.

Still, the OP is going to retire and go fishing, good on them.

Leave a comment:

• vaware
    replied
    Thanks for all the constructive replies, to the rest, you know who you are ...

All i was looking for was a view from other contractors on how they see the changes affecting us, to those that don't really have a life, i will enjoy the 2 weeks over Christmas thanks, and then i will probably retire early and go fishing.

As i said i was probably contracting before you were an itch in your daddy's pants ...

Keep up the good work the rest of you

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    With that poor level of understanding of what you do you should have been inside all along.
    Bit harsh if the OP has never been handed a furlough before, especially if the client aren't calling it a furlough either.

Leave a comment:

• LetterBox
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    don't worry about the 'furlough' period and enjoy Christmas.

DO worry about the PWC involvement. It's unlikly to end well. As I understand their 'form' is worse than CEST in it's anti-contractor bias.
    Correct, I can confirm it is worse.

All I have asked is that the determination be placed on a new contract that may or may not be issued in March and that my existing contract be left alone for determination. If I am offered a new contract on inside IR35 determination in March then I will insist it is written to clearly read as a permie position and have it confirmed by QDOS that it is absolutely inside IR35, this will put it in direct opposition to my current contract as reviewed by QDOS.

Only at that point will I decide on what I am offered (or not offered) as payment based on the new very inside IR35 contract, no rate increase or big permie offer, then I'll walk.

If I am determined inside on my current contract then the best I can do is to raise an appeal to leave the determination in limbo and within that period, leave.

Nobody wins here...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X