• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question About Contract Employment (non EU national)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Contract Employment (non EU national)

Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct site to post this question, but here goes.

In general, does the UK PMC and security companies hire non-EU nationals for contract employment especially for overseas in the middle east? I am aware most American PMC and security companies only offer employment to American citizens and Green card visa holders even for overseas contracts but I am not sure how the UK companies employ military background personnel (only hire EU nationals?)

I am interested in contract work overseas after completing my enlistment period in the Japanese army. I know a fellow countrymen who first enlisted in the Japanese army, then served in the French Foreign Legion where he got his French citizenship. He was employed by a UK security company shortly after for an oversea contract in the middle east. I am not sure if I have to follow the French Foreign Legion route first to get French citizenship to be employed or if I can get directly hired instead.

Any helpful answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Originally posted by zarzarbinks View Post
    Hello, I am not sure if this is the correct site to post this question, but here goes.

In general, does the UK PMC and security companies hire non-EU nationals for contract employment especially for overseas in the middle east? I am aware most American PMC and security companies only offer employment to American citizens and Green card visa holders even for overseas contracts but I am not sure how the UK companies employ military background personnel (only hire EU nationals?)

I am interested in contract work overseas after completing my enlistment period in the Japanese army. I know a fellow countrymen who first enlisted in the Japanese army, then served in the French Foreign Legion where he got his French citizenship. He was employed by a UK security company shortly after for an oversea contract in the middle east. I am not sure if I have to follow the French Foreign Legion route first to get French citizenship to be employed or if I can get directly hired instead.

Any helpful answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Simply put you need a visa or need to have citizenship. No way about it I'm afraid.

Comment

I'm not sure that being a legionairre grants citizenship.

It's also quite a hardcore method of getting the right to work in the EU. These guys are soldiers who do proper soldiering.
      And in about 1 week, EU nationals may not have a right to work in the UK anyway.

You are trolling aren't you?

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

is this in General?

ah, sod it.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          is this in General?

ah, sod it.
          Not yet
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I'm not sure that being a legionairre grants citizenship.

It's also quite a hardcore method of getting the right to work in the EU. These guys are soldiers who do proper soldiering.
            And in about 1 week, EU nationals may not have a right to work in the UK anyway.

Not if it’s legionnaires disease

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Do you really believe that?

Are you?

(probably should be in General )

Comment

Responses

Hello, thank you for your replies.

Usually after your time with the French legionnaire is up, French citizenship is granted although that may have changed over the years I am not sure so I am not trolling (also I posted this under General but Admin moved it here ). I am seriously looking into what is out there at the moment.

As for the UK work visas, I am not sure what kind of visas are offered and what the requirements are as technically wont be working in the UK but overseas outside the UK. I found this link so this adds to my confusion (Does a remote employee, living abroad (non-EU), working for a U.K. company, need a work visa? - Quora)

I tried researching specifically UK security companies and PMC's hiring non EU nationals overseas and what specific Visa (if required) is needed but I am not getting solid information.

I assume Brexit will affect the hiring process if it happens within the decade?
                Last edited by zarzarbinks; 25 October 2019, 07:29. Reason: Added information.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Do you really believe that?
                  Yes I do. I really do believe that we may leave the EU in a week.
                  We probably won't but it is possible.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hello, thank you for your replies.

Usually after your time with the French legionnaire is up, French citizenship is granted although that may have changed over the years
                    you can apply for citizenship after three years, or sooner if you get shot French Foreign Legion - Wikipedia
                    I am not sure so I am not trolling (also I posted this under General but Admin moved it here ). I am seriously looking into what is out there at the moment.

As for the UK work visas, I am not sure what kind of visas are offered and what the requirements are as technically wont be working in the UK but overseas outside the UK. I found this link so this adds to my confusion (Does a remote employee, living abroad (non-EU), working for a U.K. company, need a work visa? - Quora)
                    I'm not sure why that adds to theconfusion. It says quite clearly that if you're not IN the UK then you don't need a visa. That would be my understanding also. Getting paid is a different matter. You need to find an umbrella company that will you pay a foreign bank, and also that will pay someone that doesn;t have the right to work. Most companies will avoid you as you're not easy for someone to just tick a box on a form

I tried researching specifically UK security companies and PMC's hiring non EU nationals overseas and what specific Visa (if required) is needed but I am not getting solid information.

I assume Brexit will affect the hiring process if it happens within the decade?
                    Yes. But as a non EU national it will make it easier for you to work in the UK (probably). Gaining EU citizenship is unlikely to help you work in the paradise that will be UK post-Brexit.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X