• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burnout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mudskipper
    replied
    Tarbera's retirement plan is to marry the rich widow of a burnt out contractor.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    As GoT would say, you're a long time deed.

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Your house will be just lovely when you are getting buried six feet under, when you drop down deed

Or if you make it to retirement and they are selling it to pay for your care costs

Long time deed in this life
    I must be psychic

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    i was saving for a house and full refurb, hence the peddle to the metal approach, had to use all available funds to complete the build hence why warchest was depleted

still doesn't look much better to be honest but at least i'm earning
    Your house will be just lovely when you are getting buried six feet under, when you drop down deed

Or if you make it to retirement and they are selling it to pay for your care costs

Long time deed in this life

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    That's not really the point of a warchest.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by 56samba View Post
    This sounds like a precarious financial position? not criticising, just noting.

PlanB, take the summer off. the older I get the more extended my between gigs breaks get, consider it a portion of your retirement taken early, the portion where you are dribbling in your porridge unable to remember your own name.
    i was saving for a house and full refurb, hence the peddle to the metal approach, had to use all available funds to complete the build hence why warchest was depleted

Leave a comment:

• 56samba
    replied
    at it 11 years, never had more than a 2 week break
    only had 3 months worth of warchest,
    This sounds like a precarious financial position? not criticising, just noting.

PlanB, take the summer off. the older I get the more extended my between gigs breaks get, consider it a portion of your retirement taken early, the portion where you are dribbling in your porridge unable to remember your own name.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    As GoT would say, you're a long time deed.

I will never understand why people will work, work, work and then wonder why they feel ill after a decade or two without a break.

Take it as a lesson learned. Downtime is just as important (more so, I'd say) than up time. You cannot be truely effective in your work if you never take a break.

If your warchest allows it, take the summer off. Go somewhere interesting and chill/experience something new.

When you come back, whatever mode of work you choose to follow, make sure you take regular holidays. Factor in days off into your daily rate - I aim to bill in 40 weeks what I need for a full year (plus buffer but you get my gist).

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    had a similar feeling at the end of last year, had been at it 11 years, never had more than a 2 week break (xmas shutdowns) and the annual week long annual holiday.

i was in a crap 6 month contract that i hated, decided i wasn't going to renew but only had 3 months worth of warchest, but took the chance

a 6 week break really helped recharge the batteries (and get a load of odd jobs around the house done)

start of the year landed another contract which at the moment is turning out very nicely

everyone's circumstance are different but don't be afraid to take a break

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    If you have got the money then take the Summer off then look again when everyone returns to work in September.

The bigger question is how it got to this? If it is a simple as not taking breaks between contracts then that is easy enough fixed but don't be one of those contractors who tries to go native and do every hour god sends for the honour of getting a month extension finishing off the last bits of work on a project while your colleagues have done eight hour days and are enjoying the break.

Leave a comment:

• gnarledcontractor
    replied
    So long as you've got an adequate war chest, then take some time off.
    Time is precious and its easy to get bogged down with taking renewal after renewal or new opportunities when they present themselves because its just well convenient at the time. Do something you enjoy, have some fun, spend quality time with partner and/or kids.
    Then when you feel better jump back in... I've done this a few times both forced and unforced. When I was younger I worried like hell about not having a client. Now, when I get a chance for a break I welcome it, and I'm sure I come back a more effective and motivated technologist with some better ideas, rather than someone who's a bit jaded from the daily grind..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X