• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client in administration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're on 30 day terms how many months behind are they? Did they fail to pay several invoices and then went bust and you realised why? Or are you on £900/day?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_albert View Post

Been told that my July invoice is with the administrators (2p in the pound I'm hearing!) but the steer given from them is that they expect everyone to continue to work on the project whilst 'things are sorted'.

Technically my contract is null and void I guess.
      Who’s telling you you’ll get 2p in the pound?
      Who expects you to continue to work?
      That’s kinda key to what you do next.

Administrators may decide to pay a percentage to creditors. But I’m not sure how they engage you for further work. Ask them directly. They’ll be pretty straight up.
      If it’s just an employee telling you they expect you to continue it’s probably because they don’t understand.

Your contract is still valid, unless there is a clause about be client going into administration. They still exist as a legal entity, just under new management with special authority.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Your contract is still valid, unless there is a clause about be client going into administration. They still exist as a legal entity, just under new management with special authority.
        I'm not so sure that's 100% true is it? I'd want to look in to it further than take that assumption.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-sports-direct
          No wonder Mike Ashley is so rich this is daylight robbery!

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_albert View Post
            The retail client I contract my services to has just gone into administration (you can probably guess who it is!) but has been 'part bought out' by another company who is simply buying the stock and stores, not the debt.

I'm contracting direct with them on 30 days payment terms.

Been told that my July invoice is with the administrators (2p in the pound I'm hearing!) but the steer given from them is that they expect everyone to continue to work on the project whilst 'things are sorted'.

Technically my contract is null and void I guess.

My first inclination is to jump ship and take it on the chin (I put my loss at around £18k) but would welcome others thoughts and if anyone has been in a similar position before?

Thanks,
            Albert
            You must break the contract and not continue working 'until things are sorted'.' It's not your money they would lose and they would say 'carry on' wouldnt they?

Personally Id stop working immediately and not submit any invoice until the position is sorted. If you submit an invoice now you will kiss goodbye to that money.

Im not sure if Qdos or someone like Bauer & Cotterell can advise but do not work the contract until you have some solid info.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Or are you on £900/day?
              Maybe that's why they went bust....

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              https://www.theguardian.com/business...-sports-direct
              No wonder Mike Ashley is so rich this is daylight robbery!
              No, it isn't. Mike Ashley has stepped into a situation where a company was in absolute collapse, their hope for investment from China backed out, the whole situation was in disarray, and he is at least salvaging some of the jobs, more than if he hadn't got involved. He's no hero, he hopes to make a lot of money, but he's not ripping anyone off.

The daylight robbery took place when the prior regime ran the business into the ground, took on debts (like to the OP) that they couldn't pay, and instead of cutting their cloth to fit their means, they kept on spending and running up debts. They kept asking OP (and others) to come in and work when they fully knew there was a serious risk they wouldn't be able to pay him for services already provided. They ripped off their suppliers and their landlords by making commitments they could have no reasonable assurance of being able to keep.

Fortunately their pension fund was mostly funded but it's possible they also ripped off their employees by making pension commitments that couldn't be kept, too.

None of that is Mike Ashley's fault. A lot of people are going to get hurt, and he's decided which ones it is going to have to be to try and keep it a going concern, return it to profit, and safeguard as many jobs as possible by keeping as many stores open as he can. Very unpleasant for the suppliers like OP, but there's nothing dishonest or immoral about it. It's risky because he may lose the goodwill of those suppliers and that's a dangerous game for a business to play, but it's a reasonable gamble to make in the situation.

I have little use for the man but he's not the bad guy here.

Comment

You should certainly look at getting other contractors together and exert some pressure.

There might also be some opportunities in this situation.

I had a similar situation once and we talked direct to the administrators and once he realised how valuable our skills were to their plans to break up IT systems to sell the business they agreed to honour our invoices and I had another years work at a lucrative rate.

They let all the perm IT staff go and me and a group of other contractors helped them divest the business.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'm not so sure that's 100% true is it? I'd want to look in to it further than take that assumption.
                  The main aim of a company going into administration is to rescue the company

Paragraph 3(1) of Schedule B(1) of the Act (Insolvency Act 1986 - and additions made by the Enterprise Act 2002,) states that an administrator of a company must perform his functions with the objective of:

(a) rescuing the company as a going concern; or

(b) achieving a better result for the company's creditors as a whole than would be likely if the company were wound up (without first being in administration); or

(c) realising property in order to make a distribution to one or more secured or preferential creditors
                  If the administrators are attempting (a) with part, or all of the company, then it's still a legal entity.

Consequences for existing contracts

Although it will be noted above that administration does have an affect on the enforcement rights of the other contracting party, administration does not have an affect on the legal status of the company in administration
                  source : https://www.taglaw.com/insolvency/12...tracts103.html

Which pretty much says what I said in longer words.

I stand by my initial point of 'ask the administrator' as they are the ones who are now in control.

Caveat: IANAL & it's complex.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Client in administration

Just like rangers, administrators come in, gather what is due from debtors , pay themselves 95% of this amount and give the remaining to those owed money

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Just like rangers, administrators come in, gather what is due from debtors , pay themselves 95% of this amount and give the remaining to those owed money
                      Correct. An administrator's duty to themselves is to legally remove as much money as they can while appeasing creditors with the bare minimum that they can get away with. Allegedly.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X