• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting at RBS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting at RBS

Anyone got recent experiencing contracting at RBS?

Heard they have a reputation for 'hiring and firing' ie short contract spells or terminating contracts prematurely?

Feedback appreciated

I was there on and off for 4 years, and didn't see anything like that, and that team had lots of contractors.

But then other areas may be different and more trigger happy.

Comment

If you're hired at the wrong time just before a cull then this might happen, but that's true in any bank. Things are relatively quiet at the moment so it is unlikely you'll be hired and then fired in a few weeks time. On the whole PM's try and keep their teams together.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        I was there on and off for 4 years, and didn't see anything like that, and that team had lots of contractors.

But then other areas may be different and more trigger happy.
        Thanks - one comment being there 'on and off' implies hiring and firing?

Comment

Originally posted by businessarchitect View Post
          Hardly. We are contractors and we deliver whatever is required by the client, be it a 3 month project or a 2 year piece of service introduction. Once the work is done you move on. His comment indicates to me he's delivered a piece of work and the contract ended but they've gone back to him to deliver more later. Great spot to be in for a contractor, getting repeat work, so is a plus not a negative.

Very hard to ask what the culture is like for such a huge organisation. It could easily be different in one team/project to another and could be down to a simple factor like the individual hiring manager you deal with.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Hardly. We are contractors and we deliver whatever is required by the client, be it a 3 month project or a 2 year piece of service introduction. Once the work is done you move on. His comment indicates to me he's delivered a piece of work and the contract ended but they've gone back to him to deliver more later. Great spot to be in for a contractor, getting repeat work, so is a plus not a negative.
            Precisely, and the rest tells how I didn't see any "hiring and firing" in all the time I was in that team.

Comment

Anyone got recent experiencing contracting at RBS?

Heard they have a reputation for 'hiring and firing' ie short contract spells or terminating contracts prematurely?

Feedback appreciated
              Blast from the past. I haven't seen an RBS contract spec. since they nearly went under. Prior to that, they were the lions share of specs in my inbox, along with Lehman Brothers.

I remember starting a contract at RBS on a Monday and getting my rate cut on the Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                Blast from the past. I haven't seen an RBS contract spec. since they nearly went under. Prior to that, they were the lions share of specs in my inbox, along with Lehman Brothers.

I remember starting a contract at RBS on a Monday and getting my rate cut on the Wednesday.
                I would certainly expect a 10% rate cut at some point so build that into your original rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  I would certainly expect a 10% rate cut at some point so build that into your original rate.
                  Indeed. Roger Sinclair was keeping a track of contract breaking clients that chop rates which was really useful but sadly not been updated. I'm sure there are a number of RBS ones missing let alone all the others. There are enough entries in there to tell you it's a good possibility of it happening again in the short term though.

http://egos.co.uk/contract-breakers.htm
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Surprised they are even hiring right now as they are cutting so many costs back in many areas around the retail bank especially (retail & investment banking are supposed to be separate but in reality they are one & the same!). Been messed about by them so many times they are keen to interview then suddenly go quiet as a hiring freeze has kicked in again rinse & repeat etc etc. They have let a lot of people both perm & contractors go this year (probably way too many) so now they are finding out the hard way the costs increase sharply when you let too many people go too fast.

Personally I would avoid as others said rate cuts as well as enforced holiday at xmas & school even summer holidays time.

Comment

Working...
                    X