• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

day job for wife

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

day job for wife

All

I am contracted to a subsidiary of a "company". The "company" has a small job that they think a consultancy would be too expensive to do. I suggested my wife who is a director in my company can do it. They ("client") are fine with that. My question is - Do I need any PI cover for my wife to deliver that job. Its mainly data entry type work which I will spot check before delivering to the "company". Looked at my contract, and it does not mention my wife's name so hoping no trouble with the agency in the middle.

Cheerios.

Why not speak to the insurance company providing your PI and see if they already cover her and if not how much would it be to add bearing mind the low level of work. Shouldn't be much.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And do you have PI. Does your contract stipulate it? If it does it would be fairly safe to assume she will need it.

Comment

Are the subsidiary, and any intervening agency, also ‘fine’ with it?
        And they would be the ones to check whether you need PI with wifey named.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If contract doesn't mention your wife, it probably won't be a contractual requirement.

But your PI will only cover your spot-checking.

Is the data sensitive in any way? If it is wrong are people going to die or buildings collapse, etc? Or is it data that is likely to be archived and no one ever look at it but they have to have it stored somewhere?

I'd be inclined to get PI.

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses. Very helpful. I think I have another idea now. My wife can invoice the "company" directly without involving me or my limited company. It is just filling into excel some publicly available data. Payment amount involved is not large so think this should be a cost effective way rather than go through my limited company.

Cheerios.

Comment

Originally posted by jonbon View Post
              Thanks to all for the responses. Very helpful. I think I have another idea now. My wife can invoice the "company" directly without involving me or my limited company. It is just filling into excel some publicly available data. Payment amount involved is not large so think this should be a cost effective way rather than go through my limited company.

Cheerios.
              It this your idea or something you've discussed with your client? It would appear to be nice and clean but is it possible?

Might want to speak to your accountant to see which is the most efficient method and try that first?

Comment

Working...
              X