• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency pre-empting private sector IR35 changes in April?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency pre-empting private sector IR35 changes in April?

15 months into current contract, agent wants to meet with the customer and I in a couple of weeks to discuss IR35 potential impact in April 2019. Seemed fairly insistent.

Agency is part of SThree group. Anyone else had anything similar?

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
    15 months into current contract, agent wants to meet with the customer and I in a couple of weeks to discuss IR35 potential impact in April 2019. Seemed fairly insistent.

I'd tell them we'll meet up to discuss it, when and if it happens. Right now it's only speculation. If he wants to meet with the client, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post

Don't see anything wrong with it.

It's good they are discussing it though as it shows they are aware and attempting to understand it. They'll be a couple of steps ahead of many agents and clients.

If you are thinking that far in to the future I'd be worrying more about the 24 month rule than IR35 to be fair.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 6 August 2018, 17:45.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I doubt it and would be VERY wary of such a meeting. It’s not for contractors to educate individual agents - it’s up to their own compliance and training teams; they ought to have the most up-to-date advice on legislation. But wait - there IS nothing in any legislation relating to this, it is all about existing working practices, and they should have already spoken to the client about these.

Tell them to speak to the client, but if they insist be on your toes - they may be ignorantly trying to mitigate a risk that doesn’t exist and that mitigation may involve trying to persuade you to go inside IR35.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

S Three are talking about changing their contracts to a much more deliverables-based model (something one or two of us have been banging on about for some years) and a more B2B basis. If that's what this is about, it will strengthen your IR35 position significantly, so this may not be bad news. So it may be in your best interests to go in with an open mind.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            S Three are talking about changing their contracts to a much more deliverables-based model (something one or two of us have been banging on about for some years) and a more B2B basis. If that's what this is about, it will strengthen your IR35 position significantly, so this may not be bad news. So it may be in your best interests to go in with an open mind.
            That's what I was thinking, too.

It's hard to see how going to a meeting and listening is going to hurt you.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

Then it would be nice if they gave bit of context and background as to what they want to talk about.

Just saying that they want to talk about IR35 15 months into a contract wouldn’t have me skipping into the meeting.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If you are thinking that far in to the future I'd be worrying more about the 24 month rule than IR35 to be fair.
                Cheers NLUK

I’m based at home most of the time with 1 day a fortnight at main client site, 2-3 days a fortnight max total at mixed client customer sites. Not too concerned about 24 month rule.
                Last edited by fatJock; 6 August 2018, 21:55.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Then it would be nice if they gave bit of context and background as to what they want to talk about.

Just saying that they want to talk about IR35 15 months into a contract wouldn’t have me skipping into the meeting.
                  Cojak, it’s about general expected impact of IR35 not about my specific contract. That’s all the info I have so far.

Before signing initial and extensions I have had contract and working practice review from QDos and been given at outside determination.
                  Last edited by fatJock; 6 August 2018, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

No....happy to attend and be forearmed, was just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar.

Comment

Working...
                    X