• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency pre-empting private sector IR35 changes in April?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I'd tell them we'll meet up to discuss it, when and if it happens. Right now it's only speculation. If he wants to meet with the client, so be it.
    Sod that, I'd want to be there to make sure that they understand IR35 and how my work for them should be deemed outside!!!
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Sod that, I'd want to be there to make sure that they understand IR35 and how my work for them should be deemed outside!!!
      To be frank, I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Preferring instead to worry about 24 month rules and the like is short sighted, 'burying your head in the sand' type mentality.

And while there are a million private sector clients out there, and your going to just one meeting will hardly tackle the wider understanding, tackling the potential issue one client at a time, and starting with your own selfish needs to ensure your clients are up to speed, makes good business sense.

Failing that, can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        To be frank, I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Preferring instead to worry about 24 month rules and the like is short sighted, 'burying your head in the sand' type mentality..
        Is it buggery. Man you talk some pap. The 24 month rule is something that exists and will happen if you are there long enough. The OP has already clarified the situation but someone 15 months in could already be caught.

The IR35 situation is a long way off and may never even happen with a lot of action to fight it.

Dealing with known legislation which will affect you shortly over something we don't know is going to happen is hardly burying your head in the sand.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Is it buggery. Man you talk some pap. The 24 month rule is something that exists and will happen if you are there long enough. The OP has already clarified the situation but someone 15 months in could already be caught.

The IR35 situation is a long way off and may never even happen with a lot of action to fight it.

Dealing with known legislation which will affect you shortly over something we don't know is going to happen is hardly burying your head in the sand.
          IR35 affects all contractors, public and private sectors and this new way of determining it in the public sector that was introduced and its potential roll-out to private sector makes no difference. If contractors can, in advance, educate agencies and clients alike that each contract is defined as inside or outside based on the contract itself (in the agency's domain) and the working practices (in the client's domain) and that you as a contractor can influence both to be correctly inside or outside according to the role, then it will help hundreds of contractors down the line as well as prevent HMRC's fear campaign resulting in blanket inside declarations infesting the private sector in the way that they have blighted the public sector.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

WHS...

We need to grow up a little and realise that it's up to us to drive beneficial changes.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

IR35 affects all contractors, public and private sectors and this new way of determining it in the public sector that was introduced and its potential roll-out to private sector makes no difference. If contractors can, in advance, educate agencies and clients alike that each contract is defined as inside or outside based on the contract itself (in the agency's domain) and the working practices (in the client's domain) and that you as a contractor can influence both to be correctly inside or outside according to the role, then it will help hundreds of contractors down the line as well as prevent HMRC's fear campaign resulting in blanket inside declarations infesting the private sector in the way that they have blighted the public sector.
              Absolutely but I was replying to the context of Simes reply, not the bigger IR35 picture.

Comment

OP might want to have a dig through these before his meeting which might help him understand what's going on and maybe what they are trying to achieve. S3 have been pretty proactive around IR35 for awhile..

Thread below is on the Public sector offering but not hard to think they will start something similar for Private sector as early as possible.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/publ...5-product.html

Andy Hallett alluded to different operating models in this thread. Again Public Sector but if they've got a model which satisfies the PS it would make sense to re-shape for private sector. If it does include S3 becoming a consultancy and delivering work packages then why not just continue to do it in the Private Sector as well regardless of what the status of the IR35 legislation is?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ml#post2501851

Might give you a clue what they are going to discuss in the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  S Three are talking about changing their contracts to a much more deliverables-based model (something one or two of us have been banging on about for some years) and a more B2B basis. If that's what this is about, it will strengthen your IR35 position significantly, so this may not be bad news. So it may be in your best interests to go in with an open mind.
                  Absolutely this. Andy Hallett of S3 has been on about this for some time. You should definitely meet with them, and it will be interesting to hear back...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    OP might want to have a dig through these before his meeting which might help him understand what's going on and maybe what they are trying to achieve. S3 have been pretty proactive around IR35 for awhile..

Thread below is on the Public sector offering but not hard to think they will start something similar for Private sector as early as possible.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/publ...5-product.html

Andy Hallett alluded to different operating models in this thread. Again Public Sector but if they've got a model which satisfies the PS it would make sense to re-shape for private sector. If it does include S3 becoming a consultancy and delivering work packages then why not just continue to do it in the Private Sector as well regardless of what the status of the IR35 legislation is?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ml#post2501851

Might give you a clue what they are going to discuss in the meeting.
                    I think you might have a point - if the OP isn't clued up about IR35, they could be a bigger hindrance than help in the meeting. As the MD of YourCo, surely it's one of your key responsibilities to maximise profits - securing a firm outside IR35 call on your contract is key to this.

Comment

I think you might have a point - if the OP isn't clued up about IR35, they could be a bigger hindrance than help in the meeting. .
                      This was my first thought when this thread started. The OP seems pretty confident in what he does but it appears he's still in his first contract and is only 15 months in. If he's done his homework he should know enough about IR35 to not be blind sided in this meeting but can he add any extra value? Does he really need to? I guess he can just sit there and digest the meeting firstly and consider it's implications afterwards.

I have to say though, if I thought any one of 80%+ of the contractors on my gig were called in to a similar meeting I'd be very unhappy that their opinions might shape the status of my gig.

Just imagine PC championing the new IR35 status of gigs on your site?!

No harm to go in, listen and investigate later though. Not sure it would be on here though. If S3 still read the forums it won't be hard to work out who the OP is.

Comment

Working...
                      X