• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In an absolute mess with Corporation Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
    He was referring to an accountancy firm as being "nationwide", not a bank...
    I think he deserves a for that!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
      You've already told us it was Nationwide so why hide the fact?

As for more established banks, the nationwide is one of the largest financial institutions in the UK and has been trading over 134 years . In 2016, the bank reported total assets of US$276 billion and posted a net income of US$1.3 billion.

This makes them the 5th/6th largest financial institution in the UK - not sure why you would say they are not established
      Not quite

I have raised the issue with the nationwide, call-centre style accountancy firm
      Top rant though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
        He was referring to an accountancy firm as being "nationwide", not a bank...
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I think he deserves a for that!
        That misplaced comma has a lot to answer for

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          That misplaced comma has a lot to answer for
          It's my education that is at fault here, I was taught how to use comma's correctly. Unfortunately I therefore assume everyone else does this too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
            I don't like things being left in limbo, and I am flirting with the idea of returning to contracting, but it sounds like a winding up order might end up being my best option, although rather perversely, if the company gets wound up and then the FOS finds in my favour, that'll leave me £6k better off, surely?!?!

If you think using a ltd if you return to contracting is the best way for you (existing changes to public sector and similar potential changes to private sector may mean an umbrella or other payroll option is better than ltd regarding being inside IR35) then you have two main options:

1. Continue with the existing ltd and pay off the corp tax bill with profit from any new contract (or personal loan to Ltd if can get the money privately), while awaiting a decision on whether the £6k will be returned to your company by the bank.

2. Close the old ltd and open a new one. The limited liability of the old one will likely mean the debt dies with the closure, but that's at HMRC's discretion. You would need to close the bank account as part of that winding up process so return of the £6k afterwards would not be possible. I guess the bank would send you a cheque made out to your ltd in absence of an active account with them, but I don't think you would be able to cash it or sign it over to HMRC.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

No, not The Nationwide Bank - “nationwide, call-centre style accountancy form”.

The bank is “GashMinus” - 3.2/10 on TrustPilot and a popular choice for speed/ease of setup.

Thank you for the advice. I’m going to have one final plea with the FOS to look at the case soonest, but it looks like an unethical winding up may be my only option in this case.

Maddening and unfair situation- will contact MP as suggested.

Comment

It's my education that is at fault here, I was taught how to use comma's correctly. Unfortunately, I therefore assume everyone else does this too!!!

ftfy
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'd suggest you simply wind the company up as insolvent (you have a legal obligation to do that anyway).
                  It's a limited liability company so HMRC can go whistle.
                  Unless they can prove you've been negligent, or broken any laws they cannot pursue you personally for the money.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                    The bank is “GashMinus” - 3.2/10 on TrustPilot and a popular choice for speed/ease of setup.
                    Clever - I assume you mean CashPlus is the bank.

Assume the accountancy firm got a kickback (monies) when they recommended.

Comment

It's my education that is at fault here, I was taught how to use comma's correctly. Unfortunately I therefore assume everyone else does this too!!!

Shame they didn't teach you how to read the whole sentence (thus identifying the comma error) to comprehend what the OP meant.

Comment

Working...
                      X