• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building a brand and marketing yourself versus relying on recruiters.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    The moment i read the title, I knew it was by a hopeful hopeless newbie.

Why on earth would anyone pay for your UK based services, when they can get "ten a penny" like you based in India? And if they are looking for quality 2-3 like you based in EE.

What are you looking to promote if you have nothing special to offer to set you apart from the competition?
    Harsh. But so very true.

Comment

It's possible in banks if you're a niche provider and can mobilise good people easier than they can - or they simply have no appetite to do so.

That aside, doing a good job, parting on good terms and adding some staff on to LinkedIn is generally a good way of building a brand - the brand happens to be you rather than YourCo, but for most small companies, the MD is the brand anyway.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Depends on your market, banks and big co’s etc Have preferred suppliers list, so you have zero chance of becoming a supplier.
        True, although I got a gig at a global bank through a network contact - although I had to go through an agency on the PSL, as the bank were introducing me to the agency they (agency) only got 5% and I got a better rate. Had the agency found me and introduced me to the bank their margin would be more like 20%.

So, worth marketing yourself and building contacts even when sometimes you can't go direct...

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          True, although I got a gig at a global bank through a network contact - although I had to go through an agency on the PSL, as the bank were introducing me to the agency they (agency) only got 5% and I got a better rate. Had the agency found me and introduced me to the bank their margin would be more like 20%.

So, worth marketing yourself and building contacts even when sometimes you can't go direct...
          Which is basic networking and not really what the OP is suggesting.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Which is basic networking and not really what the OP is suggesting.
            "Every little helps"

Comment

Not really. The fact that virtually non of us on here do it is good evidence of how viable it is.
              Or, it's evidence of how tulip most people on here are!

Take your pick!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

Take your pick!
                Riiiiiiight.....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Riiiiiiight.....
                  Haha +1 for you babe!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

Take your pick!
                    Beaten to it !!
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post

No it wouldn't. The agencies that place people are at the banks are on fixed rate cards c 10%
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X