Clients Not showing up for telephone interviews....Is that a thing now?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Posts 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks (Given)
    77
    Thanks (Received)
    132
    Likes (Given)
    142
    Likes (Received)
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    12 month Contract to then go Perm for big bucks!
    Ah, permie multi stage interview bollox. They're so important they can't all get into the one interview these days.

    Only ever experienced it once myself, when I had a mid-contractor-life crisis and applied for a local permie job after wasting the warchest on a failed plan b.

    Did the first interview, and this was back in the days when usually one interview was enough to secure most jobs, then they started going on about coming back the following week for stage two of the recruitment process. Declined, went home, hit jobserve, and a few hours later (after a telephone interview that the client managed to make on time ) was in a contract to start on the Monday.

    The relative simplicity of securing a new contract is one of the perks of not going permie, long may it continue.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  2. #42

    Ddraig Goch


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    9,625
    Thanks (Given)
    90
    Thanks (Received)
    196
    Likes (Given)
    1296
    Likes (Received)
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Ah, permie multi stage interview bollox. They're so important they can't all get into the one interview these days.

    Only ever experienced it once myself, when I had a mid-contractor-life crisis and applied for a local permie job after wasting the warchest on a failed plan b.

    Did the first interview, and this was back in the days when usually one interview was enough to secure most jobs, then they started going on about coming back the following week for stage two of the recruitment process. Declined, went home, hit jobserve, and a few hours later (after a telephone interview that the client managed to make on time ) was in a contract to start on the Monday.

    The relative simplicity of securing a new contract is one of the perks of not going permie, long may it continue.
    More than one interview = trouble usually.

    I did have one client interview me then it went quiet. Hey ho - Got another gig. Two months later the agency contacted me (I think they knew though!) and said client x wants to do a 2nd interview.

    Got the feeling agent was also a bit peeved to have his time wasted by the client.... Not quite sure if client really expected his initial candidates to be still available after 2 months.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  3. #43

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks (Given)
    77
    Thanks (Received)
    132
    Likes (Given)
    142
    Likes (Received)
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    More than one interview = trouble usually.

    I did have one client interview me then it went quiet. Hey ho - Got another gig. Two months later the agency contacted me (I think they knew though!) and said client x wants to do a 2nd interview.

    Got the feeling agent was also a bit peeved to have his time wasted by the client.... Not quite sure if client really expected his initial candidates to be still available after 2 months.

    Two months later! I'd be thinking either the project was stalled for that time, or they originally chose a different contractor who didn't go the distance and they were hoping to shortcut the process by not going back to the start for new candidates.

    You could have done the 2nd interview and when they asked how soon can you start you give them the day after your current contract ends.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  4. #44

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    170
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    To give another opinion its not always the contractors perception. I recently had a series of Video Interviews with senior managers in other time zones:

    1st Interview: Manager kept me waiting for over 2.5 hours with no apologies or excuses whatsoever then gave me only 10 mins.
    2nd Interview: Same manager called me back for a 2 hour interview & was quite rude.
    3rd Interview: Different person kept me waiting 25 mins with no excuses or apology.
    4th Interview: Another different manager kept me waiting for 15 mins with no excuses or apology.

    After this I decided their culture was not my culture so withdrew from the interview process. Most of the people I had these interviews with were not punctual. 1 of the 4 was friendly the other 3 were hostile & unsettling. Whether this was their intention or not or they were just like that who knows but face to face many contractors would walk out or end the interview.
    Grief!

    What industry area was this in, if you don't mind my asking?

    Must admit, after the first interview I would likely have known it was not the cultural fit.

  5. #45

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    650
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    27
    Likes (Given)
    218
    Likes (Received)
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    Grief!

    What industry area was this in, if you don't mind my asking?

    Must admit, after the first interview I would likely have known it was not the cultural fit.
    Financial Services...that well known giver of big money, big egos & big aggro!

  6. #46

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    170
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    12

    Default

    Well, I was thinking... but didn't want to just assume or cast aspersions...

  7. #47

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    More than one interview = trouble usually.
    Usually a high staff turnover or have a prior history of making poor hiring decisions so want to meet you twice to indicate how desperate you are if you indeed show up

  8. #48

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    650
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    27
    Likes (Given)
    218
    Likes (Received)
    129

    Default

    Had another bad experience last week on this. The end client withdrew a few hours before the interview was due to start with no reason given then rescheduled to have a phone interview & 3 face to face interviews on the same day! I withdrew immediately way too much hassle for a contract role (albeit well paid). Always a warning sign when the end client cannot get the interview done on time & you have to see several different senior people.

  9. #49

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    9,672
    Thanks (Given)
    397
    Thanks (Received)
    680
    Likes (Given)
    2562
    Likes (Received)
    2977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    Had another bad experience last week on this. The end client withdrew a few hours before the interview was due to start with no reason given then rescheduled to have a phone interview & 3 face to face interviews on the same day! I withdrew immediately way too much hassle for a contract role (albeit well paid). Always a warning sign when the end client cannot get the interview done on time & you have to see several different senior people.
    Often when you're coming in at top whack they want to see what they're getting for their money. I had one interview where it was a phone interview then face to face with a technical specialist that they'd brought in from another department because I was in at 50/day more than anyone else. I got it because he told the hiring manager that, based on the interviews, I was the only one capable of doing the job.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  10. #50

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    650
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    27
    Likes (Given)
    218
    Likes (Received)
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Often when you're coming in at top whack they want to see what they're getting for their money. I had one interview where it was a phone interview then face to face with a technical specialist that they'd brought in from another department because I was in at 50/day more than anyone else. I got it because he told the hiring manager that, based on the interviews, I was the only one capable of doing the job.
    I guess your right as I was top whack but TBH for the role (negative background to it existing staff were not going to be receptive to welcoming any contractor) it needs someone with less experience late 20s early 30s who will put up with all the negatives. The journey was also a nightmare not easy to get to & constant engineering on the line mean you would need to coach it or use a vehicle so I am not going to lose any sleep over it going elsewhere!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.