• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the company i contract for cut my contract short because i wouldnt go full time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Tell them you will go permie after six months as you need that time to close your company

Work away and find another contract and leave
    Yeah ive tried suggesting/demanding that and they didnt budge. the official line was pretty much. Take the permie role now or cya later. i think ive been seriously unlucky that they happened to find another guy capable (albeit not as capable as me, it seems) to do the job permie right away. so to them they are sitting there going "why would we pay you contract money when we can get you permie or this other guy and cut you off, saving us money).

ive been frantically looking and asking about other contract roles in my field and area and unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any at the moment. which is making this way harder than it normally would be.

Comment

this is slightly deviating from my original question. but does anyone know, if hypothetically i was to take the permie role, what id have to do with my company, accountant etc before i could sign the permie contract, if anything at all?

again thanks for the help & advice so far. its really appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by flashgg21 View Post
        this is slightly deviating from my original question. but does anyone know, if hypothetically i was to take the permie role, what id have to do with my company, accountant etc before i could sign the permie contract, if anything at all?

You wouldn't have to do anything apart from keep filing your returns and paying your bills. But you would need a plan on what you want to want to do.

Comment

When I started contracting about ten years ago it was fairly common to get rung up about a contract that 'might lead to a permanent role' or 'with a view to going permanent' but haven't had it happen in years.

Comment

<Hovis tune playing background>
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm surprised you are even considering going perm with them if that's how they have treated you.

Whats the agents view on them breaking the contract with the agency?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
                I'm surprised you are even considering going perm with them if that's how they have treated you.

The agent will be peed off at losing 5 month's commission. He may be softened by the blow of a permie commission if the other person is his candidate too.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post

To be fair, the fact he was offered something is better than just being let go (which happens to people where budget constraints need to be met).

Even more surprising that they are offering it to him so early on in the contract is, a contract to perm is likely to not be around for long (due to being tempted by contract money - I would have thought they'd rather have someone they can realistically see being in the position a while) so I don't think the OP has much to complain about...

Except of course of the possibility that the company never planned for him to have a 6 month contract and knew in advance they will either make him perm or replace him with a perm, which I guess would be a tulipty thing to do.

Comment

Cheers for the replies everyone.
                    Im pretty new to contracting and guess im learning the hard way in this case.
                    The permie role they have offered me is actually very good, but its more the way theyve went about it thats leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Also the fact that if i take it ill be sitting with 3 other guys still on contract that probably arnt of the same level of skill set as me earning more money.
                    Have a decision to make i suppose. Not the worst situation to be in but also not ideal since ivr only just started the contracting journey
                    Those 3 do not have a guaranteed income though until the contract has expired & they have been paid for that work. Quite likely if you go perm sooner or later they will either have to do the same or be replaced once they find the perms they need. No contract is ever safe your just a flexible short term resource until the fund runs out or they hire someone cheaper & or better! Just because your contract states ££££ @ 26 weeks does not equal income until its sitting in your bank account.

Comment

You would probably have to close it down & put on inactive list plus either pay an accountant to fill the monthly HMRC returns or DIY. Accountants charge around £50-70 per month + VAT to do this admin for you. The perm role would most definitely require details of any Directorships held & also most likely ask you to resign & shut the company down. That depends on how thorough their compliance process is though but its deep hot water if you do not declare & they find out later...…..

Comment

Working...
                      X