• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this Agency/Client messing me around?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sira View Post
    I just found it a little shady that they turned it round in 2ish hours? I'm sure its legitimate, but yeah..very fast! .
    I doubt there is anything shady. Agents are really just glorified sales people and they work on commission. Once you are roped in and committed the agent thinks its a done deal so isn't making any more money spending time on you. They will move their focus to filling more vacancies and getting more commission. By threatening to walk you've put their income at risk so they'll refocus pretty darn quick, that and looking like an idiot in front of the client.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I just found it a little shady that they turned it round in 2ish hours? I'm sure its legitimate, but yeah..very fast!

Thanks for the insight re: contract^.
      It's very easy to do the equivalent of a mail merge and populate a boilerplate template with modern software.

The downside of this is that you've got a very generic template that will need checking by QDOS or similar as NLUK suggested.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Due to start gig next week. Thought I'd try to find out some info regarding my first day i.e. time and whom to report to - last week left the agency an email and 2 calls, but no response.

Is this normal?

In this past whether it be permie or contract, I've always been given some information regarding the first day.

Comment

Due to start gig next week. Thought I'd try to find out some info regarding my first day i.e. time and whom to report to - last week left the agency an email and 2 calls, but no response.

Is this normal?

In this past whether it be permie or contract, I've always been given some information regarding the first day.
          Ring the agency, ask who agent's manager is. Speak to them.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Ring the agency, ask who agent's manager is. Speak to them.
            I will.

Before I do, just wanted to gauge the consensus as to when people typically get info regarding first day.

Comment

I will.

Before I do, just wanted to gauge the consensus as to when people typically get info regarding first day.
              It's happened to me twice in 8 or 9 gigs. They've nearly all been interview Tuesday start following Monday so a mad rush to get ready. Twice I didn't get the information I was expecting. In both cases I knew the guys name from the interview so rocked up at 8.30 and just gave his name. Once I was half an hour earlier than he expected, the other one didn't bat an eyelid so guess it was what he had planned.

Both cases I mailed the agent to point out I hadn't been given my joining mail and they were very apologetic. Thought I'd sent it etc.

Really poor carry on by the agent though.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X