• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this Agency/Client messing me around?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sira View Post
    I need them to change the starting date on my contract. Emailed two reps yday, and one this morning, and had no response....
    Try phoning them and asking for their manager.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Try phoning them and asking for their manager.
      They done it. If i dont chase, they don't do anything. I've worked at many tier 1's, and never encountered such a difficult on-boarding process for a job, perm or contract. It's simply infuriating.

I had a situation in the past where I was due to begin a gig, and the client pulled the plug 2 days before the start date as they lost a huge client.

Worried this is a case of de ja vu....

Comment

They done it. If i dont chase, they don't do anything. I've worked at many tier 1's, and never encountered such a difficult on-boarding process for a job, perm or contract. It's simply infuriating.

I had a situation in the past where I was due to begin a gig, and the client pulled the plug 2 days before the start date as they lost a huge client.

Worried this is a case of de ja vu....
        You are lucky not to have hit this before.

Gigs do get pulled just before contract starts. CUK is littered with such stories.

WTFH offers good advice.

Comment

Don't threaten to not take the gig as they'll simply ditch you.

Act as though this isn't happening, keep working and billing at your current gig. If anything moves on this, treat it as a bonus. Odds are that if it comes off, you'll be near enough finished on your current gig anyway.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Don't threaten to not take the gig as they'll simply ditch you.

Act as though this isn't happening, keep working and billing at your current gig. If anything moves on this, treat it as a bonus. Odds are that if it comes off, you'll be near enough finished on your current gig anyway.
            I'm doing my best to forget about it. Chased the agency a few times, they just keep saying that they are waiting for news from the client, and that my start date is still as per original agreement.

Due to start in 3 weeks...still no news. It's incredibly frustrating and stressful. In the meantime, I'm exploring other opportunities.

Comment

I'm doing my best to forget about it. Chased the agency a few times, they just keep saying that they are waiting for news from the client, and that my start date is still as per original agreement.

Due to start in 3 weeks...still no news. It's incredibly frustrating and stressful. In the meantime, I'm exploring other opportunities.
              Is the correct answer. You're not in a gig until you've completed day one in my experience.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Is the correct answer. You're not in a gig until you've completed day one in my experience.
                Absolutely. I stopped chasing the agency as of last Friday - its not going to help in this situation. My gut feeling is that their misleading me but lets see, I may be wrong. Don't understand how it can take so long to review a few simple documents!

Comment

Notice periods are non existent if the end client does not want nor need you or their plans change. Just stay where you are let the agency come back to you if they want you to start they will contact you urgently let them do all the running everytime. Until you have earned all the rate on the contract its a fluid situation your contract means nothing unless you are prepared to enforce it! Most are not worth the paper they are written on keep looking at other roles as well if onboarding is like this I guarantee the actual work is probably not going to be any easier is it.

Comment

I've never had such a long wait to start a gig. In fact I can't ever remember anything taking more than a week from first application to sitting at the desk. After seeing so many threads on here if I ever got a gig that needed more than 2 weeks to start I'd be assuming it wasn't going to happen and just getting on with applying.

You shouldn't be getting stressed or frustrated. If it's going to happen it will happen, if it won't it won't. There is nothing your chasing is going to do to change that.

Don't really agree with the misleading comment. There is absolutely no reason for them to do this. They have issued a legal contract. I don't think it would get that far if they were misleading you. I'd guess problems and timing at the client rather than the agent... which comes with the risk of the client canning the gig.. but fingers crossed it'll fall in to place the week before.

You mentioned so many terms it wasn't worth the paper it's written on right at the beginning. This delay will give you time to have the contract checked properly at least... you are doing that yes?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I've never had such a long wait to start a gig. In fact I can't ever remember anything taking more than a week from first application to sitting at the desk. After seeing so many threads on here if I ever got a gig that needed more than 2 weeks to start I'd be assuming it wasn't going to happen and just getting on with applying.

You shouldn't be getting stressed or frustrated. If it's going to happen it will happen, if it won't it won't. There is nothing your chasing is going to do to change that.

Don't really agree with the misleading comment. There is absolutely no reason for them to do this. They have issued a legal contract. I don't think it would get that far if they were misleading you. I'd guess problems and timing at the client rather than the agent... which comes with the risk of the client canning the gig.. but fingers crossed it'll fall in to place the week before.

You mentioned so many terms it wasn't worth the paper it's written on right at the beginning. This delay will give you time to have the contract checked properly at least... you are doing that yes?
                      It's a mat cover gig so they absolutely need someone to start before the employee goes on leave. I thought there would be more urgency from the client - but apparently not! Either the client is absurdly slow, or may they found someone directly, who knows.

Trying not to stress - grabbed myself a few more interviews so focusing on that.

Got the contract checked. It's strict/tight but above board - wont complain about the contract, as I have nothing else on the table right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X