• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract extension offered - not asked to sign

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you checked that the invoice number you have used is not a duplicate?

If it’s not, then the best solution to getting paid is to issue a credit for the previous invoice, then put in a new invoice with a new invoice number.

Alternatively, be awkward, but don’t complain about not being paid.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by yMyjgT View Post
      Ah ok, I didn't realise that. Figured the paperwork was the be all and end all.

End of current one isn't until a couple of months away, and the client would like to extend, and have asked agency to do so....but they've nothing that interests me particularly so want to move elsewhere if my other option pans out. I'll sit on it a bit until I know what's going on elsewhere, then make sure the client knows one way or other.

And yeah, the overdue invoice is starting to annoy me severely and worry me slightly.
      They asked me today to re-issue the invoice with a different number....I think their systems their end are showing it as paid already or something. Not sure if that's acceptable from an accounting point of view for my company, but currently not intending to do that just because they've buggered their own systems up. I've issued an invoice, it's got a number, fix your own systems and pay it is my current stand point. Is this just being awkward for no good reason, or should I reissue the invoice?
      They've offered you a solution to getting your money - do you want to take it or bitch and moan?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Unless they are a big well known agency I'd be worried they are using stalling tactics to not pay you on time.

Are there any other contractors at client using same agency you can have a quiet chat with to see if they too are having payment issues and if so for how long?

If their system is indeed showing the invoice as having been paid why can't they pay it manually (presuming they normally use BACS) to tie up the loose end?
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

End of current one isn't until a couple of months away, and the client would like to extend, and have asked agency to do so....but they've nothing that interests me particularly so want to move elsewhere if my other option pans out. I'll sit on it a bit until I know what's going on elsewhere, then make sure the client knows one way or other.
          I worked on a project where the client asked to extend everyone, agency said to the contractor "the client would like to extend you". Mate of mine said "That's interesting. Send me the paperwork and I'll look at it." Off the back of that, the agency signed a new contract with the client. But like your situation the work was dull / drying up and the contractor found something more interesteing and better to do, so expected to leave.

The client only found out that the contractor was leaving because another contractor made sure that they did before the guy walked out the door. Client was pissed off with the agency. Agency annoyed with the contractor but then checked all the correspondence that never once indicated any acceptance or willingness to accept.

My advice would be to make sure that as soon as you decide what you're doing, let the client know so that they can plan and you don't look like the bad person for walking out and leaving them in the lurch.
          I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

They asked me today to re-issue the invoice with a different number....I think their systems their end are showing it as paid already or something. Not sure if that's acceptable from an accounting point of view for my company, but currently not intending to do that just because they've buggered their own systems up. I've issued an invoice, it's got a number, fix your own systems and pay it is my current stand point. Is this just being awkward for no good reason, or should I reissue the invoice?
            If you're issuing a new invoice, make sure you have the same date as the old one - otherwise you'll have to wait again for the replacement to be paid!
            I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
              If you're issuing a new invoice, make sure you have the same date as the old one - otherwise you'll have to wait again for the replacement to be paid!
              Doubt that makes a difference otherwise we could all backdate our invoices (got delayed in the post ) to avoid any agreed delay between invoice being received and being paid.

Like I said, asking for a re-issue could be a delay tactic if the terms of the contract say the invoice is not required to be paid before xx days upon receipt.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                They've offered you a solution to getting your money - do you want to take it or bitch and moan?
                I want to moan about it, because it vents some of the frustration, AND I want them to fix their own problems, AND I want my money

Invoice number is deffo correct, and have checked through old ones, and it hasn't been issued previously.

I don't really want to see the same problem again either, so if this forces them to sort themselves out, that could be useful.
                That said, if I'm going elsewhere, I'll do whatever to get the money and just be done with it, rather than continue being stubborn and shoot myself in the foot

Another contractor is having issues too. Not the same, but ultimately is also overdue on payments.

We both have the feeling it's more incompetence than agency in financial difficulties...... More recent invoices are being paid with no issues.

Thanks all.

Comment

I want to moan about it, because it vents some of the frustration, AND I want them to fix their own problems, AND I want my money

Invoice number is deffo correct, and have checked through old ones, and it hasn't been issued previously.

I don't really want to see the same problem again either, so if this forces them to sort themselves out, that could be useful.
                  That said, if I'm going elsewhere, I'll do whatever to get the money and just be done with it, rather than continue being stubborn and shoot myself in the foot

Another contractor is having issues too. Not the same, but ultimately is also overdue on payments.

We both have the feeling it's more incompetence than agency in financial difficulties...... More recent invoices are being paid with no issues.

Thanks all.
                  If it's the agency struggling to pay, tell the client that there's more than one of you struggling to get paid and you'll be staying offsite until it is resolved. It will get resolved if the client thinks that the agency are tulip.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                  X